Glossy or not??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mayassa, Apr 1, 2008.

1. mayassa macrumors regular

I know this has been covered I did a search already but, does any body regret getting the glossy?

I stopped in @ pentagon city this morning and under the bright lights the glare is killing the glossy screen. The glossy shows better colors and stuff but in the real word what do you think will work better?

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

depends on your "work" environment. will it be in your house most of the time? i have a matte screen and love it. people have said that they have lights directly behind them while using their glossy macs and don't notice anything. i think it really comes down to personal choice. glossy screens show blacks better, but if you're doing daily tasks that really does not matter. imo!

4. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I have two glossies - one at home where lighting is relatively subdued and one at work where my office has 6 fluorescent strip lights and a window. In both instances I see reflections in the imac glass when the screen is off, but even in the office, very little when the system is in normal use. Even when there's a dark image on screen such as when working on a web page with black background, the reflections I do see are not at all intrusive (much to my surprise).

Consequently, no, I don't regret the purchase of either system.

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I prefer glossy on the MBP. I returned my matte 2.4 for a 2.5 Glossy.

6. switcher3365 macrumors regular

I ordered the glossy screen and I love it. Yes, there are some glare at times, especially when using it outside, but that is something that I can deal with. I use it in my apartment most of the time, and so there aren't any problems with it. My lights aren't as bright as many offices and stores.

BTW, I visited DC for the first time last fall for a convention and LOVED it. Hopefully, I will be able to go back one of these days as a pure tourist.

7. mayassa thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply's

I am going to pull the trigger on the glossy.
    Through the development site 17 inch LED Glossy 2.5 with the 200G 7200 HD and, my memory came in today 4g for 60bucks (Buy.com) Google check out and AR.

Should be quite a beast.

My daughter has a new laptop with vista and I told myself I would never go that way again. It is so hard to work on and with, so when it was time to update my laptop I chose a MAC.:D

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I hate the glare so I got a matte instead. I do a lot of graphics work and web work so matte seems to be better for me.

9. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Whoa...parents shouldn't let their daughters use Windows, especially Vista. Where is your parental instinct?! :p

10. ibizarocks macrumors regular

11. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I work in a "light ridden" environment. Glossy is great. Its really a non issue from a glare standpoint .. Dont listen to the haters here

12. mayassa thread starter macrumors regular

I picked it up for 385 bucks she loves it, and the 20 minute boot up time I ordered some more memory but its still a pig.

13. super98111 macrumors member

I always love glossy panel since the color is more vivid. Matte panel makes me dizzy sometimes.

14. tuncer macrumors member

Long time matte user here. I switched to glossy and have never looked back. My matte days are over...

15. mayassa thread starter macrumors regular

Boy,
    You guys are making me wish I switched a long time ago, haven't been on a mac since the IIC in high school.

16. Ranchdip macrumors member

17. Shabbis macrumors regular

I've owned matte powerbooks dating back to my first powerbook, a 520c. I just picked up a glossy 15.4" Penryn and I love it. I don't find the glossy annoying at all. And my house has a ton of windows. I do find it a pain to keep clean though.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I regret the Matte. A friend of mine just got a Macbook Pro with the glossy and I think it is better. I didn't see reflections and there was office lighting.

19. mayassa thread starter macrumors regular

what do you clean a glossy screen with mild soap and water on a damp rag?

20. Shabbis macrumors regular

iKlear

21. macmandk macrumors newbie

Go for it

I just bought a MBP 17" glossy, 200 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, 4 days ago.

and i thinkt i f.. brilliant, go for it.

The discussions tend to be a bit nerdy inhere. Im a former professional graphic designer and offcourse there's pro's and con's, But the colour is vivid and i havent got any problems with reflections so far, but i guess it all in the eye of the "looker".

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you're wasting your money with a MATTE!
    for heaven's sake, get a glossy or buy a windows with VISTA instead.

happy april fool's day:D

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have matte. I think it works better with less glare. I had a glossy for a week, but didn't like it.

I also logic if I want a glossy, I'll just buy a glossy screen protector and it would be a glossy.

24. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Movie Watching - Glossy

Graphic Design - Matte