Glossy screen AG screen protector.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gol27, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone has the glossy screen and uses it with an antiglare screen protector? Like the power support one.
    Im thinking about ordering the 15 inch an can't decide (I know the advantages/disadvantages have been talked to death!).
    I like the Idea of the glass but I currently have the antiglare screen and while screen quality is great, it just doesn't look as nice in my opinion.
    So was wondering if an antiglare screen protector would give the same effect?

Also I know the antiglare screen is high res, does this make much of a difference compared with the glossy version?

Cheers.

2. loudguitars macrumors member

I'd also love to hear the answer to this question - I'm waffling about ordering a 13" MBP because the reflections from the glossy screens drive me completely insane. If I knew could at least get rid of those with anti-glare film, that'd be a real help in deciding what to get.

3. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone? Must be someone must have this set up?

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I'd have expected some sort of answer for this thread...

5. Nykwil, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

i bought an anti-glare screen protector for my '09 13" MBP

Long story short:

NOT WORTH IT.

Live with the glossy, you learn to forget it, trust me.

Unless you can be in a COMPLETE DUST VOID, dust is impossible to avoid while trying to apply one of these things, because one of the key elements to having adhere is either static or low tack adhesive

So what you say? Somehow looking at a 13" screen with dust/lint trapped under it without noticing it is impossible. Not only that but your text will appear blurry.

On a tiny screen like an iphone it works, even if a bit of lint or dust is trapped under the protector it's not as noticeable.

Wiping off your display to 'clean' it will be a pain because if there's something trapped under the protector you will obsess over it.

It's a lot harder to put on even a 9.7 inch protector for say an ipad, and a 13" 15" screen, than on an iPhone.

And trust me, I'm a pro when it comes to applying on films, I used to apply decals to r/c car bodies with warm soapy water. I do the same with applying bodyguardz films to laptops/ipads.

The same wet application procedure does not work on these types of films, unless you want PERMANENT (as in, if the water dries underneath the protector and you remove it no amount of cleaning, wiping will get rid of it) water marks visible in the reflections forming on your display...now you have a glossy screen AND watermarks

Dont waste your time on these films on anything bigger than an iphone screen, trust me, you WILL be disappointed.

When you're applying one of these films, theres already 1 glossy layer with the lcd, the glossy glass layer on top of it, adding a screen protector will further diminish the display.

If you want anti-glare get the BTO anti glare screen on the 15 and 17 that screen is just an lcd screen with an anti reflective coating on it, minus the glass layer, and if you want it that bad on a 13" well there are services that will charge for it.