Glossy screen and headaches!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ignacy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Ignacy macrumors newbie

Some real life experience please! :)
    I'm on the verge on buying myself the new penrym macbook pro.
    Glossy seems the better choice from most of the stuff I read. Will be using it for audio related work (editing, sequencing (cubase)).
    In a few macbook (non pro) related threads I witnessed people complaining of headaches and eye strain etc.

What is your experience?

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

regardless of the type of the screen... if you'll be infront of your computer for a straight 4 hours or more without any " eye breaks" you'll definitely have eye strain and probably a headache.
    i don't think it's related to the screen at all..
    and it depends on your eyes well.:)

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i have a MacBook and have never personally noticed headaches or eye strain come on from being on my computer; however, if I am on it for hours on end, it happens (which is pretty normal for me regardless of what computer I am on!)

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'm a computer science major, so I spend a lot of time in front of my screen. Glossy has not given me any issues. The text is crisp, so it is very easy to use. No issues with headaches.

5. MikeZMacGeek macrumors newbie

MikeZMacGeek

Thinking about getting one too!!!

I'm think about it too, and I'm getting the matte screen because i use it a lot, and do a lot of photo and video editing so matte will show you more accurate colors, and will be much easy on the eyes. :apple:

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Don't think color accuracy is important for the OP's audio work!

7. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I struggled a bit the first couple of weeks with the glossy screen, sore eyes and mild headaches, but I have no problem at all now - I suppose me and my eyes have adjusted. :)

8. priller macrumors regular

I was using one for around 10 hours a day without a headache.

9. smileyDandelion macrumors newbie

Re:

I have sensitive eyes.At work I use imac glossy screen and it gives me eye strain. I used to have imac glossy screen at home and experienced the same problem. After I sold my imac, I bought a mac book pro . Glossy looks more beautiful but because of the eye strain consideration, I chose Matt instead of glossy. Ps. I'm usually on computer 10 hours a day. But when I use glossy screen, my eyes are sensitive enough to feel the strain in 15 mins.
    I still love mac tho :) :)

10. Ranchdip macrumors member

Since you will be using audio programs you will want to maximize your real estate. With that in mind.... The matte screen should be seriously considered. Believe me..you will be squenching to see some things and less glare is always better. IMO

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Jumped in with my first glossy here. No regrets at all. No glare or reflection, and it just looks brighter and nicer to look at than my old PowerBook. I love it, and it looks great for watching movies.

12. Ignacy thread starter macrumors newbie

Your latter posts came a little too late. I've already ordered a pro with glossy screen. I also sit in front of the computer a lot of hours a day but I have good eyesight and I think not every person experiences the eyestrain. Or better phrased, I hope :)
    I'll keep you informed how it affects me, once it has arrived.

Thanks for the extra comments ! :eek:

13. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I get headaches a lot and have a glossy MBP and don't have any issues using the screen for an extended period of time. The overhead fluorescent lighting, however, is a completely different story for giving me headaches :mad:

I would say as long as reflections aren't that bad and you're able to position the screen in such a way that minimizes them, you should be all set.

14. gin&tonicorelse macrumors newbie

gin&tonicorelse

i lied on another post about how i don't have a glossy mbp, but since you all seem like decent folks, i'll tell you the truth. i do and i have had no problems whatsoever about anything headache related. however, i should have prefased my vote of confidence by saying that in 23 years i have never suffered from a headache. i enjoy some of the best genetics that anybody could possibly enjoy. so, perhaps, i am just immune to such ailments as headaches.

15. darkus macrumors regular

wtf.. lol

16. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

My thoughts exactly. That post is probably "post of the day."

17. KD101 macrumors newbie

glossy screen headache

For 4 months when I was teaching school, I used the classroom's new imac with the super-glossy screen. I began to notice my eyes hurt and I got a bit of a headache after a few hours working at the computer, almost every day. Granted, it could have been the kids making my head hurt, but I have the matte screen at my own studio and never have that problem.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I have a matte screen and my headaches are terrible..

19. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

You, sir, are very lucky.

Also, I have a glossy screen, and I have never gotten a headache looking at it.

20. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

NO! DONT BUY PENRYN!!! WAIT FOR ARRANDALE!!!

I think it is a bigger problem you have.

21. coolmacguy macrumors regular

um, dude. That post was from 2 years ago. I bet he bought it a long time ago.

22. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

hmm ok, thanks :p

23. yester macrumors newbie

major headaches

I've gotten about 2 headaches a week from the glossy screen. When I dimmed the screen down to like 1 bar of brightness, I stopped having the headaches but having to view the screen that dim is annoying.
    One of my clients returned her computer the day she got it because it gave her a headache almost immediately.
    Definitely would NOT recommend glossy screens to anyone.

24. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have glossy, I have matte.

BTW, I have a 27" CD which is glossy.

No difference.

They are so bright the gloss doesn't matter 'most' of the time.
    Looks bad when it's off though.

your environment is really the issue here.

If I had to deal with an bright office no way i'd go with glossy.