Glossy screen on a matte macbookpro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyouya, May 2, 2008.

1. Kyouya macrumors member

I had a matte macbook pro with broken screen ,sent it to repair and they replaced my screen with a glossy screen, which is terrible(no, I didn't ask them to put a glossy, I just didn't specify type of screen). Right side of screen seems a lot brighter compared to the rest of it and...well, it looks way too bright. (I've used Sony glossy/x-brite before, it was nothing like this).

So I assume glossy screens aren't compatible with Matte macbook pro's? I am pretty mad at the moment, this really sucks ;_; Never thought I'd need to specify that I need a MAtte screen on a matte macbook..

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, I suggest you return the system to Apple Service centre where you had your repairs done. Just calmly explain to them there must have been a mistake, cause you originally had a Matte display and now it's Glossy and your not happy - don't forget to take your paper work with you.

I'm sure it's a error and Apple wants to keep it's clients/users happy.

Good luck.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I wonder how that happened..its not entirely the Apple Service center's fault that they received the wrong part, however they should have noticed the difference between the old and new LCD panel and sent the new one back if it is indeed glossy...because it is impossible to actually order a glossy screen for a matte macbook pro. Apple must have sent them the wrong part. Either that or they got serials mixed up with a glossy MBP they had in for service.

But wait, are you absolutely sure that it is a glossy? because newer matte LCD panels have a glossier finish. Just take note. But if the screen is indeed unsatisfactory bring 'er back. Is this a SR or newer MBP?

-and the finish of the screen has no bearing on compatibility unless it was from a different generation macbook pro. Then it gets interesting.

edit: is this even at an AppleStore or auth. service center?

4. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is glossy.. I've also checked the bill and it says SVC AG, AG here is Apple Glossy I assume(I've used glossy/x-brite screens and Matte for a long time, can easily see the difference). The glare etc., its definitely glossy.

Its Aut. Service center. My Macbook pro is 2 generations old. Left part of the screen looks fairly good but the right part is very, very bright (Not an uneven brightness issue, like I am directly looking at the LCD backlight) lowering brightness does not fix the issue, and this basically makes colors on the right look washed out.

I'll call them tomorrow but until then I am just looking for some information, always useful when dealing with services, etc.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Hm..i cant say how it happened for certain, so i assume you're not in the US?

but even so, apple's service website is global..i mean it is called Global Service Exchange..i just looked up my serial # and you can only pull up matte displays for my matte MBP.

so someone mixed it up somewhere.

6. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

I am in the US. The service cost was also around...375$ cheaper than the estimate. Something definitely went wrong somewhere.

7. 7031 macrumors 6502

You can only get matte screens for a matte macbook pro? Kinda makes sense, the glossy screen does appear to have a different chipset, although when I had my Macbook's screen replaced (by an authorized Apple repair shop) they did offer me a glossy screen. I ended up buying a matte screen for it anyway though.

£570 for the new screen...

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Could it be that they got a glossy MBP that they had in for service, and then used their serial # to get a warranty LCD replacement (free to them)? which would allow them to charge you money and essentially get 100% profit...

but then they would need to send your LCD panel back...i'm tired. :eek:

edit: ah you didn't mention whether or not it was a warranty repair...if not then
    they could have bypassed GSX all together and ordered a panel off ebay. which would explain the cheap price.

9. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Wow...this sounds messed up. It is not a warranty repair and the screen costs like 400$ according to the bill...sounds cheap huh?

I paid 2200 for Macbook pro for its overall quality. If I wanted something cheaper I'd buy something cheaper in first place.

I just hope they don't cause too much trouble, because I'd rather toss this junk instead of using it. Its that bad.

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Did you get your old broken screen back or do you know if the center still has it?

Exchange price for a new LCD (sending in the old one) is somewhere in the 400s according to GSX (I dont think i'm legally allowed to give you the exact price..)

If they did go through GSX to do it, something's fishy. I've never seen apple send a wrong part before..

so labor was 375? + 400 for the LCD? i'm confused.

11. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

No I haven't got my old LCD. Cost is 525$(what I paid). 400 for screen and 125 for labor.
    Invoice says "SVC, Display, Clamshell, AG".
    Repair statement(estimate) pre-repair says 750 + labor. That's what they've told me on phone before repair too.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Glossy screens are actually better imo. Maybe you'll like it given some time.

13. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Maybe, but model is 9c57 and it either sucks or just not compatible with mine.
    I've used Sony x-brites before, they were absolutely stunning. But on this one...blacks are...shiny? and right side of screen is brighter than left side. Just looks like a bad/incompatible product to me.

14. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Well, I've returned it and figured out that they've found a "cheaper source" for the lcd but they were surprised about the "glossy/matte" confusion, anyways they've replaced it with a matte.

Again, I am unhappy though I won't bother with it anymore. My new matte screen has a very grainy display (my original was "perfect", best matte display I've ever had). I guess I'll live with this one until new MBP's and go with a glossy screen.

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Well obviously the new matte screen has to be better that the original screen, as you broke that one :) ANY screen is better than a broken screen. If you didn't like the Glossy screen they replaced it with, why are you waiting for the new MBP's to come out with a GLOSSY screen???

I am a tad confused.