Glossy Screen on MacBook Pro: Is it a problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kate6425, May 1, 2011.

1. Kate6425 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I was just wondering if the glossy screen on a MacBook Pro is really a problem. I will mainly be using it in classrooms, in my bedroom, and occasionally outside. What's your opinion on which screen is better? And to people who have owned a Mac with a glossy screen, how much of a problem is it with a glare?

2. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Any Glossy is going to have the same basic issue of reflecting light sources. My Asus G73G-Q has one and you do have to dodge or shut off, say, a lamp on the end table directly next to you on the couch.

Anti-glare softens it at the expense of some vividness...my Fujitsu T5010 (work tablet) is anti-glare and while not accurate of the two MBP panels (ie...the MBP Antiglare is much brighter and supposedly slightly more bright than glossy to offset the AG material), gives me a little perspective.

I'm still going back and forth but neither will be great outdoors or with light sources directly on them...I may just go with glossy to have "nicer" colors the majority of the time (indoors, at night).

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Unlike other glossy screens on laptops, the glass makes a perfect mirror. You see yourself in it constantly. Its also very quick to induce eye strain.

But it shows well and looks impressive in the store. That helps Apple sell more laptops.

Awhile back Apple quit offering the matte display (which is the best) so I was forced to buy glossy, but returned it after trying to live with it for two weeks.

Apple got so many complaints, laptop sales fell, so they finally caved to the pressure and now its back.

Unfortunately due to Apples greed, they now charge us for what was once standard and free from the day Apple was founded.

4. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Good point on the reflection...I'm looking at myself while I type on the iPad...

I don't recall noticing it though when I'm gaming or doing something other than staring at the background or these keys "on screen" while I type.

Is it true the Matte is a TN (non IPS) screen where the glossy is, or did I misinterpret that from another thread or site?

5. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

The only time it has bothered me slightly, and I do stress that is has only slightly bothered me, is when I am in a room with lots of fluorescent lighting and/or windows. I just lower the screen about and it goes away.

6. briand05 macrumors 6502

I'm using my new 13" MBP by my window now and I'm not bothered by it at all.

7. sbbluewater macrumors member

I have the glossy screen and have no problems inside. Don't use mine outside so cannot comment on that. If I have a bright light on behind me when looking at the screen I do see reflections but my eyes are pretty used to them and do not bother me.

8. LeoThe3rd macrumors newbie

Look at it this way ; iMacs come with glossy screen only, and I've yet to hear that someone didn't buy an iMac because of it's screen.

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

This may sound weird, but after some sociological research, this is the best way to help answer the question for yourself:

Do you hate Kobe Bryant?

If yes get matte, if no get glossy.

Chances are this test will more accurately give you the most applicable answer possible for your own self better than anyone's verbal illustration can.

10. badtzwang macrumors regular

Probably because iMacs are stationary while Macbook Pros are portable. As long as you position your iMac in a way that minimizes reflection, most people will not complain about it.

11. blow45 macrumors 68000

godawful don't even think about it go for a 13" air, great screen very little glare or a proper matte imac.

12. blow45 macrumors 68000

you must be joking... your oblivion is astounding...

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/

tons of pros buy minis and displays from eizo, dell, etc. cause of that utter rubbish imac screen.

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

never had a problem with the glossy screen and i dont get eye strain either.

go to the store and test them out. only way to know which will work for you

14. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

This issue is really very subjective and will depend on your own opinions, preferences. You're better off visiting an Apple store and viewing both screens from various angles, especially ones where you'll catch a lot of reflections in the background. I have laptops with both screens and I prefer matte/AG. Then you can decide if you're wanting to spend more for AG or live with glossy.

15. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

You can always buy an anti-glare screen protector! Protects the screen AND gets rid of the glare :D

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

What people don't understand is that you don't focus on the reflections when you're looking at the screen. You have to physically force yourself to focus your eye on them. Get glossy, enjoy the better 'pop' colours and don't look back.

17. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Exactly! I'm only on 5 brightness while plugged in and there's a lot of light coming through the sliding glass doors and it's not really a nuisance. It would only be a problem if you're easily bothered by something like that and you could always turn the brightness up.

18. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

I was a matte screen advocate, but jumped on a good deal on the 2011 sd glossy 15" after selling my AG HI-res 15" 2010 model. So far I'm loving the added contrast and a bit more vibrant colors. The glare is there, and with lots of backlights it can be a problem. I'm sure once I start taking it out in the sun, I'll be looking for spots with more shadow behind me, than I had to on the AG.

But so far it's not really been an issue. You quickly learn to ignore it and "see through" the glare, or adjust the angle of the screen. I wasn't entirely happy with the AG screen, as it was a bit too washed out and unclear for my eyes, especially with the hi-res, the text was a bit too small, and i found myself having to have my head closer to the screen. Now I can sit comfortably at a normal viewing distance without straining my eyes. I also usually had the AG screen at full or one tick from full brightness. With the glare screen, I can have it several ticks from full brightness. Also, no the AG had more bright areas towards the bottom of the screen, which was distracting when watching widescreen movies. The black boarders and higher contrast seem to get rid of this problem on the glare screen, which is an added bonus.

The AG screen though, makes your MBP weigh considerably and NOTICABLY less btw. It was very surprising, and took a while to get used to, that the glare screen was so heavy. Feels more firm and stable though, while the AG felt thinner, lighter and more easily bendable.

19. topocalypse macrumors member

the gloss is a hugh problem for me right now. so much that i wanna change the screen!!