Glossy screen on the MBP vs. Glossy screens on other laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beyondthesmile, Jun 4, 2008.

1. beyondthesmile macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting an MBP sometime in the next few months (hopefully sooner rather than later). My current laptop is a Sony Vaio SZ, which has a glossy screen and LED backlighting. I've been using it for almost 2 years and haven't had a problem with the screen. I've been debating whether to get the glossy or matte screen on my MBP and am thinking of going with the glossy, since I've had a glossy screen for the last 2 years and haven't had any problems with it, and my usage on the MBP will be similar/the same as with my current computer. In general, how does the glossy screen on the MBP compare to PCs with glossy screens? If I have enjoyed the glossy screen on my current comp, I should be okay with it on the MBP, right?

Thanks in advance :)

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. pw1388 macrumors member

Yes with 9000 smiles! :) x 9000!!!!!

4. beyondthesmile thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Shabbis macrumors regular

I've found the MBP glossy to have a lot less glare. I compared my Penryn 2.5GHz MBP glossy to a coworker's vaio and the vaio had a lot more glare, almost like an extra plastic coating over the screen. My previous laptop was a 12" PB with matte screen. After a couple of months with the glossy, I am glad I switched.

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I bought the glossy display on my MBP 15" and I find it neither as glossy as my 24" iMac nor my old 17" HP laptop.

7. beyondthesmile thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys :) I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with glossy. :)

8. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

But wait a sec, are you saying that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Everytime I go into an Apple store and see the iMacs, especially the 24" models, I'm always blown away when viewing photos or videos on them. They look so life like, as though you could reach out and touch them!

Don't get me wrong, the glossy MBPs look good as well, far better than the washed out looking MacBook screens, but I prefer the iMac ones. I asked one of the store employees about this and he said that the type of glass coating on the iMacs makes all the difference. I'd love to have the same screen on the MBPs but the iMac is a desktop computer so it must not be possible.

To the OP: As people have said already, there is less glare on the MBP screens compared to most glossy PC laptops and if you buy it you should end up pretty satisfied. Of course the best thing you can do is actually check out the MBP screens for yourself side by side with your Vaio. But considering your Vaio is 2 years old now, you should expect a better quality screen now anyway thanks to improvements in technology over that time.

Cheers :)

9. kam760 macrumors newbie

MB have much less glare than other glossy screens imo. I was hesistant of the glossy screen at first, now I love it.

10. Shabbis macrumors regular

Also remember that the new iMac screen is glass. Glass can offer a lot higher optical quality than plastic can. That is why the iMac's screens are so amazing. Same with the little iPhone and iPod Touch.

11. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

So will we ever see an Apple laptop with a glass screen or would that just be too dangerous / liable to break too easily?