Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I have an aging Inspiron 700m w/ a glossy screen and I'm not too crazy about it now (it's a bit over 2 years old). It gets dusty very easily and smudges up. My next laptop will probably have a matte screen.
Funny, remember how popular the 700m's screen was when it first came out? :)

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Love the glossy screen on my Macbook. I've had a notebook with a matte screen before, but I definitely wanted a glossy screen this time.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I do not mind the glossy screen on my MB and I like the higher contrast and more vivid colors it produces.

When I first received my MB I occasionally noticed a little glare, but now I don't notice it any more. If I look for it I can still see it, but in everyday use I do not notice it. I guess I just subconsciously look past it.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i do not like glossy anymore. the reflections i can deal with but the smudges and dust are too annoying.

i bought the glossy for the brighter colors but i didn't know that smudges and fingerprints would show up so well on the screen. i just started using iklear thinking that it would help clean my screen but it just smudges some more.

my screen needs replacing due to dust under the lcd so hopefully i can request a replacement matte screen.

matte is better.

starlabs

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Dust - use a Swiffer Duster, works great.

Fingerprints - why are you touching the screen? It's not an iPhone ;)
Do... not... touch... the... screen.

In all my years of owning laptops, I have probably touched my lcd screens perhaps a handful of times (and always accidentally). As for other people, if they touch my screen I gently remind them not to the first time. If they do it again, I slap their hand. Hard. :D

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
yeah ima have to go with i LOVE GLOSSY.

idunnobout u guys. but i have been using glossy screens my whole life, and i know how to get rid of glare if i want...

remember the good ol days when we had TELEVISIONS, those hefty things that was hard to move with glare?... well with these light and portable macbook pros, we can just turn a little bit, and the glare is gone... high tech stuff :D :p

but yea that said, GLARE is a very minor thing when it comes to me.
it is definitely not a threat to my enjoyment of this incredible machine hehehe

Gandhi

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
TX
Been using Macbook since September of last year. Web browsing, email, movies and games - glossy rules for that. I ordered a 15" MB, and went glossy. Glare does not bother me at all. As for smudges and dust, use a screen cleaning cloth.

subl1me

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Dust - use a Swiffer Duster, works great.

Fingerprints - why are you touching the screen? It's not an iPhone ;)
Do... not... touch... the... screen.

In all my years of owning laptops, I have probably touched my lcd screens perhaps a handful of times (and always accidentally). As for other people, if they touch my screen I gently remind them not to the first time. If they do it again, I slap their hand. Hard. :D

Is it really a good idea to dust your screen with a Swiffer Duster? I've used Swiffer products before to clean the floor and stuff, but to me the texture of the cloth seems like it may be a tiny bit abrasive to be used for cleaning a laptop monitor, especially a MBP.

I have a matte screen myself on my MBP, but I'd like to know what else everybody is using to clean their screen (matte or glossy). I don't have a particularly dirty screen yet as I just bought it like last week, but I'm looking for the most natural (no harsh chemicals) and least abrasive (maybe microfiber cloth?) method for cleaning my very beautiful and expensive screen.

starlabs

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
The Swiffer Duster is made of different material(s) from the standard floor Swiffer (which is admittedly significantly rougher - I wouldn't use that on any LCD screen either).

If there's any smudges, I just wet a microfiber cloth, wipe down the screen, and dry it with the dry portion of the same microfiber cloth...

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Just a quick somewhat offtopic reminder: if you are cleaning your screen, never never never spray a cleaning fluid or water directly onto the screen.The computer should be off. You never need more than a tiny bit of cleaner or water, especially in the case of iKlear where if you use too much you'll be buffing the screen for a long time. If you try to spray the screen directly and it leaks down to the bottom of the screen, capillary action will suck the liquid up inside your LCD display and ruin it. It has happened to people before, don't let it happen to you.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Just a quick somewhat offtopic reminder: if you are cleaning your screen, never never never spray a cleaning fluid or water directly onto the screen.The computer should be off. You never need more than a tiny bit of cleaner or water, especially in the case of iKlear where if you use too much you'll be buffing the screen for a long time. If you try to spray the screen directly and it leaks down to the bottom of the screen, capillary action will suck the liquid up inside your LCD display and ruin it. It has happened to people before, don't let it happen to you.

Umm... capillary effect only happens on DLP screens because the picture is projected onto a screen that is filled with a bunch of microtubes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.