Glossy Screens = Health Risk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crackbookpro, Jun 16, 2009.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Would anyone like a Matte screen option?

This is crazy, but I just saw this posted on digg, and it seems a university has done a study on Macs with glossy screens posing a health risk.

link: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_apples_glossy_screens_may_cause_injury.html

I found this interesting from the article: "The university even goes as far as to recommend that students and faculty consider not purchasing products with glossy displays. Those who must, however, are urged to consult with a "Facilities Management Lighting engineer to determine if overhead lighting can be modified e.g. tube removed and still provide adequate levels of light to enable reading, writing and screen based equipment work tasks to be performed."

Other recommendations for those who must use glossy displays include adjusting the contrast to a 'low brightness' setting, which the school says will increases readability for users of high gloss monitor screens with a glass surface."

The Article is kind of bogus, but personally, I would love a Matte option...

CrackBookPro:cool:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Makes you wonder how everyone coped with glass CRTs for so many years.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

At least for me, I call shenanigans.

I sit exactly the same with my UMB as I did with my iBook.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If you read the story on gizmodo, they did it soley to protect their asses in case of frivilous lawsuits.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Interesting that glossy PCs don't seem to be much of an issue just those goshdarn Macs :p

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

"'Elf an' Safety gone mad" as some of our tabloids over here would report it. What next - shaving in the dark to reduce further risk from reflective surfaces?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...they were matte screens. ;) At least every single one I ever used was.

8. pesc macrumors regular

Because if you want to run Windows on a matte portable laptop, you can find an alternative, but with OS X you can't?

9. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I have to always wear my glasses because I have an astigmatism and eyestrain and headaches staring at a glossy LCD doesn't help. The glare on a computer screen and the brightness are two symptoms, whilst many others too. There is a health risk, but mainly just eye problems.

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Damn straight! What other device allows you read Google news and shave in the reflection at the same time?

12. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Ya know - that's got merit! :D

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For some of us, the glare of the glossy screen causes headaches, eyestrain, etc.

I keep looking at the new MB/MBP/MBA models to see if the glossy screens are becoming easier to use with my eyes. So far, I still prefer a matte screen.

So that means I would need to purchase a MBP17 to get the matte screen option.

14. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

They were glass?

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I agree, but for different reasons.

The default brightness on these, which is what 99% of the public uses, is way too F#@%NG bright! I can't believe people use these. It is bad that people become accustomed to it. You can be at a concert that's 115 dB for half an hour and it'll stop hurting your ears as time goes on, but it's doing damage nonetheless. I believe the same is true with the screens.

The only time I've been actively harmed by one is when mercury leaked out onto me.

16. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I mean, what is the real reason Apple went to a glossy screen. Was it user preference, or was it for screen durability? ...or something else, because I still feel most users would prefer the matte screen.

17. pesc macrumors regular

How can a true image + a mirror image == true image???

You can't have a "true color" if the color is overlayed with a mirror image.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Health Risk = Caution! Glossy screen may cause eye strain or potential blindness if held in direct sunlight. :D:D

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

OMG I am over 50 and all those years I have been watching televions on TV's with Glossy Screens!!!!!

OH SNAP .....

All the mirrors in my house have glossy screens!!! :lol:

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I do a lot of image work.

At first I was not to happy with the gloss screen, well OK I guess I had become used to the muted colors that a matte screen gives you.

Now when I look at images on a matte screen, they seem to be washed out.

Oh and when I print images they are on GLOSSY paper as well.

21. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Well if the brightness of the screen is to much to handle, I guess we just have to turn it down a notch...

22. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Maybe Apple will have to implement a 'brightness limit' akin to 'volume limit' on the iPods.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

The systems always seem to ship with the brightness turned to max. Same thing seems to happen to TVs as well. One of the first things I did with my 24" iMac was turn the screen brightness down.

24. harcosparky macrumors 68020

That would make sense .... but it's not sensational ... it won't sell copy or get more site hits like a report that trashes the glossy screens!

25. Henk Poley macrumors regular

Doesn't it appear odd to anybody that the light falling on a screen somehow has to be bounced away at the upper layer either as a matte blur or as glossy reflection? Why not let the light go in and use that for the image? Like basically every other object you see.