Glossy to antiglare through apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaysmith, May 20, 2009.

1. jaysmith macrumors regular

Hi, I'm just wondering if its possible to send in a unibody 17" Macbook Pro to apple and have them change the screen? I need to buy a used one to stay on budget, and its impossible to find an antiglare. I phoned their tech support but its late and the guy didn't really have an answer after speaking with some managers.

Any help is appreciated!

2. core2duo macrumors member

As far as I know, Apple doesn't do component swaps like that. Anything you have repaired through them will have to have an issue, and the part will be replaced like for like. However, an Apple authorized service provider might be able to do what you want. There are some services specifically to go from anti glare to matte - I think Tech Restore will do it.

3. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you know the genius or the manager of your local apple store well enough they might be able to do it for you, but it's not a thing that they usually offer. You would also have to pay for the new display and bezel as well as the work hours put into it.

4. pabsw macrumors newbie

Remorse?

Hi

How long ago did you buy it? Apple have a remorse period which allows you to send it back for refund for any reason you want. I think it's 28days but it might be 14days. Worth checking if this applies to you.

The other thing is if you can't live without it and you are in your remorse period you can apply to have another machine of your choice shipped and sign a waiver. Depending on how you couch your terms you can change the spec.

Hope you have some joy.

P

5. kelvin805 macrumors newbie

If you bought it through an Apple Retail store, I know the remorse period is 14 days and may be subject to a 10% restocking fee.

6. ///M5 macrumors 6502

If I understand correctly, your planning on buying a used uMBP 17" and then replace the screen with an antiglare one. If that's the case, then it would end up costing you WAY more than a new antiglare one. Well, maybe not way more, but definitely more than a new one.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Hes looking to buy a used 17" even though their practically new. OP, i think your after a dream, if your staying on budget then youll have to deal with a classic 17".

8. pabsw macrumors newbie

Ebay?

I know that these machines get a respectable sum on ebay too - in some cases just a margin under what they would cost new.

I know someone who bought a macbook under edu discount, decided he didn't want it and sold it for just over what he paid originally!

You might loose a few quid / dollar / rand but I guess it depend how much you want the other screen!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OP, your better off asking an authorized dealer such as TekServe, TechRestore, etc.

10. jaysmith thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i thought it might entail a screen replacement, which i'm guessing is over $500. I think i'm just going to try and find a classic 15" to tide me over until the next revision (which better have more matte options, seriously.)

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

good call. Honestly, i see no awesome, vast advantage to having a uni over a classic right now. Im sure in a year or two this will change. Id personally like to wait until the new models arnt riddled with little bugs and problems.