Glossy v Antiglare?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Stevie, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Researching for my first MacBook.

Is there a general opinion as to which screen is the best, either the Hi-Res Glossy or Hi-Res Antiglare?

I will mostly be using it sat at home under daylight or soft lighting.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its purely Personal preference. Some people will state that the colors are much richer and have a deeper saturation with the glossy screen. Others state that the colors are more accurate with the antiglare and you don't have reflections to deal with.

Pick one that you like the most

3. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

As for me even though the Anit Glare colours seems a little bit washed out but the brightness is much better than the Glossy, therefor saving more battery and no annoying GLARE!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^^Many photographers swear by the antiglare.

Personally as an amateur photographer, I don't mind the glossy display.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

If I had to choose my preference would be the anti glare, however my preference for a laptop is the 13" MBA which has no anti-glare option. However as the MBA doesn't have a sheet of glass covering the display it's not as bad as the glossy MBP.

I think the glass makes the difference to be honest, I tried and hated the iMac, but my glossy Macbook is fine. I do hate the overly reflective iPad screen, but as it's small it's not a problem.

My main setup is a matte screen.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't like the glossy even indoors when watching movies or playing games. With bright content like browsing, office work the glare is tolerable but dark content it is just annoying even indoors unless I have very low or almost no lighting. I prefer to work with lamps on and in bright lit rooms if I can.

I think AG is 95% of the time the better screen.
    Unless you are a nocturnal being glossy is worse and only looks to some 5% better in direct comparison. The difference in colors won't be noticed while actually using it unless you really care about colors (which is when you want AG), yet the matte screen works always well, regardless where you use it, when you use it, for what you use it.

AG is 100% of the time very good
    Glossy is 5% better in best conditions but unusable or very annoying in many situations.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are literally hundreds of threads on this hotly-debated topic, with the opinions split roughly 50-50. It doesn't matter what anyone else says. What matters is what you prefer. Neither screen is "best", but one will be better for your needs and preferences. The best you can do is spend some time looking at them side-by-side, then decide for yourself.

8. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I do like the Glossy display. To tell you the truth, the glossy on the Non-unibody MBP was a lot better because had no glass infront. It was the main LCD panel. The new one has got a glass that does bothers a bit. But still I like the Glossy.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The glossy displays are nice but if you go outside or work with your back to natural light such as through a window it can get really distracting and annoying.

10. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks for the replies, guess its one of those personal decisions.