Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
As I said, “reflections” had nothing at all to do with it. It was all to do with critical decision making and assessment of photographs.

Yeah. Tried that: two stores and two Applestores. They none of them had the two I was interested in to compare “side by side”. So that was a complete waste of time.

Don't know why you’re getting defensive, since I wasn't directly replying to you. And arguing about which is better is a "waste of time", and not going to the store or calling to see if they have both models. It comes down to personal preference and there really is no "better" screen. Both have their pros and cons.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Which one is better? I know this has been asked before but with the new release we might have some new opinions.

I doubt that a new release will change old opinion.

Nothing new about the ant-glare, nothing new about the glossy.

Here is something interesting I experienced recently .....

It is easier to resell a used GLOSSY screen laptop than it is to sell a used ANTI-GLARE laptop.

Not sure why that is, but the anti-glare units I have sold, took longer to sell.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Returned the AG MBP

I got the anti-glare MBP, but found the screen gives me a headache. It seems to have something to do with the higher resolution and also the way anti-glare is implemented. I returned it for the glossy MBP instead, and even though the glare is distracting, I find I have no trouble working on it. I used to have an older matte MBP with normal resolution and never had a problem with it.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I got the anti-glare MBP, but found the screen gives me a headache. It seems to have something to do with the higher resolution and also the way anti-glare is implemented. I returned it for the glossy MBP instead, and even though the glare is distracting, I find I have no trouble working on it. I used to have an older matte MBP with normal resolution and never had a problem with it.

I found the high-resolution screen of the 11" MacBook Air gave me a headache and terrible eyestrain. I think that the LED backlight may also contribute to the problem. I doubt that the anti-glare coating has anything to do with the problem.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I found the high-resolution screen of the 11" MacBook Air gave me a headache and terrible eyestrain. I think that the LED backlight may also contribute to the problem. I doubt that the anti-glare coating has anything to do with the problem.

I think it may be another issue, and I've made my thoughts clear on it in various threads.

I don't want to start yammering on about it, as no doubt it will irritate some.

But I owned 4 2011 11" MacBook Airs -- now, some might call that insane, perhaps. But I'm well placed to be able to comment on screen quality/variability.

The LG panels gave me constant eye pain, and even after calibration, were washed out in appearance and seemed to have a noticeable grid pattern laid across it, this was especially noticeable when viewing crosstalk patterns. The Samsung panels were much, much better calibrated out of the box and noticeably improved in terms of sharpness, without any "gridding" as seen in the LG panels, no eye pain whatsoever, and no crosstalk activation to boot.

The reason I bring this up is because I'm convinced that it is screen quality, rather than pixel density that is the problem here.

I'm typing this on a 2011 17" HRAG MBP, which has an almost identical pixel density to the 11" Air, and I have literally been using it for hours upon hours without so much as an eye twinge. When I was using the last 11" I bought, it felt like my eyes were ready to gouge themselves out of my head just to stop having to read from the screen.

Incidentally, this new machine is a Samsung panel, also. And a friend has a 17" Glossy with a Sammy screen that looks excellent.

Flame suit on, as they say.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
That's an interesting idea. It's been awhile but I recall checking the display for crosstalk and it exhibited it. I don't remember checking to see if it was LG vs. Samsung.

But I had a similar reaction: within 15 minutes I developed a headache. The eyestrain lasted all evening and through the night; I didn't really recover until the next day.

Since buyers have no way to ascertain which display they will get, purchasing an MBA is a gamble I'm not willing to make. The idea of buying and returning 4 Macs makes me cringe just thinking about it...

I snagged the 13" MBP for $900 during an Amazon sale. I think it's more computer for the money than an MBA and I saved $400 dollars compared to a base-model 13" MBA.

I can't play Frisbee with an MBP but I'll just have to live with it... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.