Glossy Vs Matte Screen MBP 2011

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ColdAsIce, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ColdAsIce macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I have just purchased my first Mac and i love it.

The old age debate has been on the screen itself, i have the Hi-Res Glossy screen i don't know if i have made a mistake in buying it.

I want to learn Video Editing in the future, and the likelihood is most of my work will be done indoors, would the Glossy Screen affect this? Also i might do some light Photoshopping, it is unlikely i will print at home but if i was to print externally at another Printer would it get affected?

I am within the 14 days return window but it is all confusing.

Apologies but reading on other posts it's very biased!

Look forward to any responses!

Regards,

ColdAsIce

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

dude, normally I'm not one to say "use the search before asking an old question" but this time I have to say it - use the search before asking an old question! This has been asked and answered a million times.

Are you looking at the screen right now? Does it look good to you? Have you used it for a few hours in different enough lighting scenarios without getting eye strain? Then good, your screen is fine for you. Next.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Personally i'm against returning an item because you are unhappy with what it is. You should have done your research before hand, looked at them in the store and then made your mind up.

Returning it just because you didn't do your homework drives the cost up for everyone else. If you really aren't happy then just take the hit, sell it yourself and buy a new one. That would be the honest thing to do.

On the other hand i don't mind returning anything if it did something it's not supposed to. I returned a whining MBP because well... it wasn't supposed to whine.

Personally i'd probably go for Matte but i had a Glossy MB for a year and it only bothered me when i read 'Glossy Vs Matte' threads.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The trick is simply to avoid working in an area where this is a light or window behind you since that will be the source of any annoying reflections. Also, if what you are working on is light colored, like this site, you are okay but when the screen is showing something dominantly dark or black then you will see your own reflection. You can't do much about the latter but you can often control the former. Just avoid those conditions - like going to a starbucks and sitting with the window to your back instead of the front, and you will be fine.

My MBP is glossy but I would have preferred matte however, I definitely did not want the high rez version since that is very hard on my eyes and also makes web images and you tube movies smaller. I am a photographer so when I do serious work I hook up to my high end non-glossy external monitor.

So it you like the high rez and can control the light behind where you are working then you are fine.

Side note: this is tricky to judge in the stores since all computer stores like to turn up the brightness to drown out the reflections from store lights. The thing is that brightness setting may be too much for regular prolonged work. Also, if your prints are too dark relative to the screen then you monitor is set too bright - which is why I work with a external monitor specifically calibrated for print work