Glossy vs. Matte

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeffnovakii, Aug 5, 2007.

1. jeffnovakii macrumors newbie

This fall I am making my jump into the Mac world. I am majoring in design in school. Heavily based on using photoshop, in design, illustrator. I also own a DSLR camera and take/edit a ton of photos. I have a few questions.

Should I go with a macbook or a macbook pro? (I plan on waiting a month or so to see what develops with the new macbooks.)

On the MBP the choices are 2.2 Ghz and 2.4...will I really notice a difference? An apple rep said the 2.4 machine will last longer as software upgrades come out and what not.

The guy working at a local apple store also said I would be better off going with a glossy screen instead of a matte for what I will be using it for. Thoughts?

What is the best external hard drive to get?

Like I said I'm making the leap to Mac...I've used them a little bit before and look forward to not using my always crashing Windows machine anymore.

Thanks everyone!

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The difference between 2.2 and 2.4 GHz is not as noticeable as the difference between 1 and 2 GB of RAM. Some people feel that the faster machine is more "future proof" because you can always upgrade RAM later. However, by the time you are ready to buy another machine the extra 0.2 GHz will be the past not the future. If you really need more processing power get a Mac Pro. However, I think more RAM will serve you better.

Screen type is a personal decision, so see them if you can. Most people think the glossy screens provide brighter, richer colors. Matte screens don't glare. I find that outside the matte screens are hard to read because they wash out. The glossy screens are easier to read as long as they are not reflecting light into your eyes. This is a very personal preference, however.

3. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

At first I thought I was going to hate the gloss, but now I love it, Go gloss you won't regret it.