Glossy vs Matte

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fluidedge, Nov 9, 2007.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

why do they give us an option - I hate choice!!!!!!!

however - what's the difference between the two is my question

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

search!!! Sorry but there are tons of threads about this already, i like matte.

3. g-ram macrumors newbie

You hate choice? Perhaps you would rather someone dictate to you what you get to have and don't get to have?

Glossy makes colors look pretty, Matte makes colors look real.

Get glossy if you're going to use it for basic stuff and watching movies and games.

Get matte if you plan on doing any type of graphic design, as the colors look closer to real life.

If you didn't already know the difference, I'd guess you're probably just a basic user... so go with glossy.

4. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

By the way, how long has this been an option? I am wondering because of the refurbs, they don't say.

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

it's been an option for about 4-5 months...not sure if it goes all the way back to the last MBP update

and i'm with g-ram, if you don't know the difference, go with glossy

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'll throw in a vote for matte.

Personally, I really dislike glossy.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I love glossy, I bought matte, then went back to Glossy!!!

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I, as well, strongly dislike glossy. Like extremely. Like if someone tried to give me a MacBook I would turn them down. No thanks, I would say. If I wanted a mirror I'd buy a mirror.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's been an option for the macbook pro since it came out in January of 2006. Yes, there have been threads on this since then:p

:confused::confused::confused:

Glossy v matte has been around for quite some time. Only the macbook has been glossy since the day it came out. The mbp has always had the option.

I disagree. Glossy can be really horrible if you're trying to type and there's strong lighting behind you. It can make reading virtually impossible under certain conditions. If you really don't know the difference, the answer is to go to a store and find out; not to settle for one or the other ;)

OP, I assume you're buying a mbp for some work purpose (or other serious need) right? If so, I advise you to go to an Apple store or other retailer which carries Macs and see for yourself. Be warned however that the Apple Store does a good job of "hiding" the gloss on the glossy. To be certain that you see the true glare differences, hold up your cell phone to both (I assume your phone has backlit keys and screen-turn this on for this demo) and compare the reflection. The matte will produce a much less concentrated glare that disperses over a wider area. The glossy will indeed act like a mirror. However, if you're not sure how this will affect you, the only way is to go to a store and see for yourself.

11. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I really like Glossy, but in the iMac case, it may be too glossy

12. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I have a glossy and personally don't mind the glare. As long as I'm not working with a light directly behind me, its easy to ignore.

But I will present an argument against glossy. The screen (when turned off) tends to get dirtier faster than a matte screen does. So if you're extremely OCD, I'd go with matte.

13. triddent222 macrumors regular

Ok...Take a coin, hold it in your hand, not too hard though...Now, flip it. If it's head, then go for glossy, otherwise go for matte. Either way you will love your screen, and immediately become a connoisseur on "glossy vs. matte" issues.

Also, you could try going to an actual Apple Retail Store, and SEE the difference for yourself, play around with each model. Most Stores have them next to each another so you can notice the difference.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I third glossy (or is it 4...)
    I love the glossy screens, things look a lot crisper and clearer, photos are beautiful to look at and it also looks nice and modern to match the crisp design ;)

15. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I'll be going for matte then...:p

thanks for clearing this up everyone

16. theman macrumors 6502a

I chose glossy. Here are some of my insights:

I only see reflections if there is a light directly behind me at screen level. Ceiling lights in my room are not at the right angle. usually if there is a reflection, just angle the screen a bit and it goes away. If you go outside, you will get reflections. But I kind of like them... with matte and a lot of light (when outside) the whole screen sort of gets cast over with light and the picture gets washed out. With glossy you get to see pretty trees and things around you. It makes things everyday tasks (like typing a paper, surfin the net, etc... nice). But you will have to have the screen brightness up pretty high.... the reflections Just not distracting to me. I also noticed that under normal conditions you won't see reflections, but if you move your head from side to side, you can sort of see movement on the screen (which would be the reflections) but that is only if you shake your head a lot while computing. Maybe someone with a matte screen can confirm this only happens with glossy...could be some weird backlight thing. Overall, i'm glad I chose glossy. Never had issues, with it so... it's fine.

One thing to note though, I had to go through 2 replacements (this is my 3rd one) to get a screen without the bottom yellowing (this one still has it a little bit but I'm not going through that again). I ordered my MBP at the end of august, and didn't end up getting it (well, one that was acceptable to use) until Mid October.... so it was pretty horrible. it's possible that the glossy's are more likely to have this, but that is not confirmed. i

17. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

i think you decided to go with matte already, but i'm still going to vote for glossy. i have a glossy, and I have had absolutely 0 issues with glare. With the new LED screens, the glare problems with the glossy have been reduced to zero .

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ummm...WHAT?

First off, the new screens on the mbps are LED backlit; they are not LEDs. Secondly, the glossy finish will still reflect light the same; this has nothing to do with how the screen is backlit.

19. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Go to the showroom and see for yourself.

I wanted glossy untill I saw them both side-by-side.

20. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I have an glossy screen and i love it. I also go to school for graphic design. My friend also use's glossy.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if i was a mod i'd lock every new thread about glossy vs. matte.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This has been discussed before, and the general consensus is that while the threads can seem repetitive, poster always have the option of not posting or reading such threads. In addition, some posters have unique circumstances and their threads deserve as much attention as older threads have.

So you're in a unique position to provide the OP with some information about accurate color reproduction. When you print, does the image come out looking like it did on the glossy screen? Does the glossy screen make everything "prettier" than it really is?

23. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

If you don't need to do any photo editing for a profession, go with glossy. I love it for movies and entertainment.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Even non-media projects suffer under the glare of a glossy screen IMHO. A simple app like Word can become hard to use when there is excessive glare on the screen. Ultimately, the decision can only be made by visiting a store and looking at both side-by-side. Only that will provide the perspective needed to make a good decision.

25. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Doesnt matter to me. They both have their advantages. I have matte because it happened to be the one that I got a deal on.
    I do alot of photo editing, so sometimes I wish I had a glossy screen. But mostly I am perfectly happy with my matte screen.