Glossy vs. Matte

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bnafzinger4, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bnafzinger4 macrumors newbie

I know this has probably been posted a millon times in the past but I'm about to purchase a MBP sometime soon. And I'm wondering which one is more suitable. I'm going to be doing some graphic design on it and other than that I'm just gonna use it for school.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Get thee to a store and compare side to side. Only you can be the judge. You'll get a lot of opinion here, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

I like glossy, but matte's ok, too. I'm not all that wound up towards either.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree that you need to go see them in person.

I have always had the matte finish from my Powerbooks, so I went with what I was comfortable with on my MBP. My wife has a Macbook with a glossy screen, and I think it would be too glossy for me. I don't use it that often though, so maybe you do get used to it.

It seems like the glossy finish it supposed to provide increased contrast and be better for Photographs. For Graphic Design work, you might want the matte, for less reflections.

In the end though, I think it all comes down to personal preference...

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

This conversation has been done to death. It all comes down to personal preferences, and your best bet is to go to a local store or reseller to compare for yourself.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Maybe someone should tell him of the pros and cons.
    I'm not sure but isn't there something about the glossy screens not being good for designers or photographers and other image editors because it artificially enhances the contrast making printouts not the same as the image on the screen?

Sorry I can't be of much help, I'm pretty lost on the subject.

6. EngBrian macrumors regular

If you want photographs to "pop" (on the screen) then glossy is the way to go. But if you are editing photos or doing graphic design then matte is supposed to give better color accuracy.

Like he said

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

look here!

;)

if you're doing anything colour critical, matte every time, imo. glossys are tasty, but not for proper work™

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got the glossy MBP last Monday. I am sitting next to an open window as I type this and the glare is not an issue.