Glossy WITH Matte Protector VS Stock Matte Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkral, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bkral macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2009
    I've been looking around and I've seen the 1000000's of posts on this topic, but I have a specific question...

I prefer the black bezel... What is the viewing quality difference between putting a Power Support screen protector on the black bezeled glossy screen vs just getting the stock Anti-glare screen?

Product Page

Is it the same? I use this company's matte screen protector on my iPhone4 and it works very well and went on perfectly without trouble. I'm just curious if it wouldn't look as good as the stock matte screen.

Anybody have any experience with this? If so, could there also be a better screen protector out there?
  2. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Mar 14, 2011
    If you can afford the little extra, go for the anti glare option.

Its better not to put a screen protector on a laptop screen.

Just my 2c. :) Hope it helps.
  3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2010
    To answer this question you have to understand what an Anti Glare screen is. On an Anti Glare screen the glass is made to reflect the light across the screen preventing it from getting to the LCD, this intern makes the LCD below appear to be matte. Glossy screens (Bar any other tampering) are fully clear glass.
    My 2 cents are that you just won't get the same affect in a plastic screen protector as you can in a thicker piece of glass.

I believe This is correct \/
  4. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2011
    I've heard a lot good about Moshi's iVisor pro, in fact a local Apple Authorized Reseller recommended it to me as a cheaper alternative to ordering a MacBook Pro with matte display. I remember asking about the differences and the sales representative took the extra hassle to open up an iVisor pro and applied it on a MacBook Pro with glossy display. I don't know how a true matte display on a MacBook Pro looks like, but with the iVisor pro applied, the difference was certainly very noticeable. I really liked the 'matte-look', but I also noticed that you lose brightness by about 1 or 2 steps. Contrast as I recall suffered a slight bit as well, but that was only noticeable when the sales representative let me manipulate an image in Aperture. It could also be that the vivid colors of the glossy display had me spoiled, so take this with a grain of salt if you wish.

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2010
    This is very true, adding a matte protector of any kind (Let it be a Matte glass screen or a protector) will reduce your colour accuracy, contrast, brightness and vividness. I personally have found colour accuracy to be better on the official Anti Glare Macs. I restate my previous statement, I simply can't see a thing plastic protector becoming an effective Anti Glare block, and if it was to become one I cannot see colours remaining at an acceptable level.
  6. madisonfaye macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2011
    I had a similar issue when I was deciding between AG and Glossy. The matte screen protectors are not as good as the AG screen for a few reasons.

Matte Screen Cover Issues:

1. The screen becomes noticeably dimmer
    2. Colors appear less vivid (a reason a lot of people debate between AG and Glossy)
    3. Text can appear blurred (I experience this phenomena on my iPad especially with my matte screen cover, things sometimes look blurry depending on your viewing angle)
    4. It doesn't do as good of a job as an actual AG screen
    5. Some people complain of a rainbow effect on occasion when the light hits it

I was pretty attached to the black bezel until I had the AG for a few days and actually prefer the silver now. I also don't experience any of the faults I listed above on my Apple AG screen at all, they only apply to the matte screen protectors. You just have to decide if looks or functionality is more important to you, or which one you could live without. Good luck! :)
  7. satchow macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2011
    I had a 2010 Glossy screen with a matte screen protector (different brand, Green Onions from and right now i have a 2011 with a stock matte display.

If you apply the screen protector well (I didn't), you will forget it's there. It's definitely not as good as the stock matte display because it still glared from really bright light sources and you get a little "rainbow" or "haze" effect on certain parts of the screen. It's not that bad though and you get used to it.

I don't mind the silver bezel so I recommend getting the stock matte display, but since you like the black bezel just get the screen protector. It's not as good but you'll get used to it and it won't bother you.

8. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2010
    Get glossy if you want more contrast and vibrance.

Get matte if you want truer, more accurate colors and no glare.

I can't speak to the protectors quality or effectiveness.
  9. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have both matte and gloss. Prefer the silver bezel by far.
  10. skasol macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2007
    I also have the matte, it's a much better viewing experience in my opinion. That is the reason I haven't bought the imac yet. I am waiting on a better option for monitor. good luck.