Glowing Apple

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Egish, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Egish macrumors member

Is there any evidence in the code that would support a glowing Apple on the back cover. Or maybe that is handled in hardware. Which does the Macbooks use?

Reading some things today about what is speculated about the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 and it being the premium for a higher price. One was the glowing Apple.... Also an image stabilizer, and NFC as possibilties

2. Seandroid macrumors regular

Even if the glowing Apple exists, it likely wouldn't have any evidence in the OS. On Macbooks the Apple simply glows via the light pollution from the backlight.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm sitting in a very dark room right now. It would be annoying to feel like I'm holding a flash light. To answer your question. No

4. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

The MacBooks are only done that way since the display is right there. I am sure back in the 90's when the first PowerBook with the lighted Apple came out, it was simply a result of someone noticing that the light would shine through.

The iPhone would require separate illumination for the apple to glow, as the back of the device is not directly on the back of the display. In that case it probably would be seen in software as I would "hope" that there is an option to turn it off. With that said, it seems very unlikely unless apple were to use the Apple as a flash, which would be kinda cool.

5. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The "glowing" Apple on the laptops is just a hole in the back of the display assembly.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

there is a battery between the screen and the back plate. doubt you could bleed the LCD light through it.

8. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I didnt even think of that. Using the phone while in bed would be a horrible experience at that point.

I do wonder about any kind of heat radiating through there as well.

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

10. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I wouldn't mind it. But put a switch in the control center to turn it off. Well then again, I don't think I would ever really want that on.

I hope it doesn't happen

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Think of it like this. Turn the flashlight on and see how that is. Now would you want that to be on all the time? Probably not.
    Yeah I wouldn't turn it on ever either.

12. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

No, as others have said, OP, there is nothing in the code to indicate an impending addition of a backlit logo. However, there already exist glowing apple mods that use the circuit powering the iPhone's display, so if Apple was to implement the luminescent logo, it would presumably use the same circuit and have no impact on the OS.

Hmm, I have no problem using my MacBook in very dark rooms, so I don't see why it would be any different if an iProduct had a glowing back. It's not like Apple, of all companies, would implement a backlit logo in a tacky, lurid manner.

13. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Yeah, probably not neat. Maybe outside in the sun once in a blue moon. But other than that, just a distraction.

14. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

Yep, and you can brighten your display with a flashlight or from sun, from the back. Either if the screen is dimmed or not.

But, i didn't experience that in 4-5 years, so i guess it is ok design. Just in some special controlled environment, just for this to see through apple logo. :D :apple:

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

That is true but your phone is different. A macbook has a much bigger screen so you have a lot of light in your face already. I usually use my phone in bed at night when its very dark. I use invert colors to keep everything dark. And if I was lighting up the whole room it would be very weird.