Glowing Audio Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jellomizer, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

This is something I found when I was installing Vista on my MacBook Pro, The audio port, for headphones was glowing Red. Until Vista Installed the Audio Drivers. I am assuming it is an issue when there is an error in audio it lights up. But is there a way to say have it turn on with the keyboard lights. It looked really cool with it on.

2. frostrambler macrumors member

Thats optical out, vista turns it on by default, its not a light for errors. The drivers turned it off.

3. jellomizer thread starter macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Is there a way in OS X to turn that on?

4. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

It only shows if the sound is not properly installed. Unless you uninstall the drivers and have no sound, you won't get the small red light.

5. Type121 macrumors regular

I don't believe so. The port senses what kind of connector is there and only enables optical out when needed.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

You are literally seeing the (laser?) for the optical TOSLINK connection. You can often see the same thing out of the back of a DVD player optical output.

Apple uses combination 1/8" minijack / optical outputs (which at least from my audio world is really, really bizarre)

It shouldn't be a problem. The drivers should 'know' whether you are using it as an optical or 1/8" minijack and adjust accordingly.

7. landis macrumors regular

if you buy a mini toslink adapter, you can insert just the metal part and it will glow red, although you will have no sound.