Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Mattel Eclipses GM in Value on Toy-Car Gains: Chart of the Day

Mattel Inc., helped by rising sales of Matchbox and Hot Wheels toy cars, has a larger market value than General Motors Corp. for the first time as record U.S. gasoline prices crimp sales of real cars and trucks.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aVRw0iPJled0&refer=us

As someone who has family that depend on the domestic automakers for their personal livelihoods and local economic success, I do ask that you consider a domestic vehicle (preferrably GM ;)) for your next auto purchase. Their lineups are at least worth a gander, as they have some interesting and innovative new models with good fuel efficiency. Additionally, they have made great strides in quality, and almost all of the vehicles that they sell in the U.S. are still sourced and manufactured in the U.S. or Canada.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Very interesting indeed, who wudda thunk it?
The economic crunch and fuel prices are wreaking havoc
On that note, fly Delta ;)

Sorry, I drive an F150 4X4
I wanted to like the Z71, but I couldn't do it

With the Ford I got two-tone paint and chrome running boards
Plus it sits higher

The Z71 has a better interior, in my opinion and I liked it

Alas, in the end, I opted for the Ford

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
As someone who has family that depend on the domestic automakers for their personal livelihoods and local economic success, I do ask that you consider a domestic vehicle (preferrably GM ;)) for your next auto purchase. Their lineups are at least worth a gander, as they have some interesting and innovative new models with good fuel efficiency. Additionally, they have made great strides in quality, and almost all of the vehicles that they sell in the U.S. are still sourced and manufactured in the U.S. or Canada.

No thanks, their cars are pieces of junk, and if supporting an American worker was my main concern when buying a car (which it isn't, I don't care if you hate me for that) then I'd buy a Honda built in Ohio, a Toyota built in Kentucky, a Hyundai built in Alabama, a Subaru built in Indiana or a Nissan built in Mississippi.

Sorry, but the big three made their troubles when they decided to build gas guzzling SUVs in times of ever increasing fuel prices. And while I feel sorry for the workers, I'm not going to bail them out by spending thousands of dollars on a sub-par vehicle.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
No thanks, their cars are pieces of junk, and if supporting an American worker was my main concern when buying a car (which it isn't, I don't care if you hate me for that) then I'd buy a Honda built in Ohio, a Toyota built in Kentucky, a Hyundai built in Alabama, a Subaru built in Indiana or a Nissan built in Mississippi.

Sorry, but the big three made their troubles when they decided to build gas guzzling SUVs in times of ever increasing fuel prices. And while I feel sorry for the workers, I'm not going to bail them out by spending thousands of dollars on a sub-par vehicle.

Of course, as a rational consumer you should be concerned with buying something that you want. That's why I strongly suggest taking a gander at their lineup. It never hurts to look and then make an informed decision.

Trust me, if GM or Ford go down, the whole country will feel it.

Again though, your main concern would rationally be to get a quality vehicle that fits your needs--- could be an import (I recognize that some foreign makes and models are manufactured in the U.S.), or could be a domestic.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Always have purchased and supported GM, namely Chevrolet. I currently own and drive 2 Chevys. I will continue to buy GM till either I can no longer drive or there is no more GM.

Sad to see this news.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I will continue to buy GM till either I can no longer drive or there is no more GM..

So whatever crap they sell, you'll take it. You're helping them fail. If people will simply buy any old crap they produce there's no incentive for them to actually build quality products.

Doug

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
So whatever crap they sell, you'll take it. You're helping them fail. If people will simply buy any old crap they produce there's no incentive for them to actually build quality products.

Doug

I think you are all crazy for assuming that GM and Ford can only produce sub-par quality cars. Sorry that you are either uninformed, uneducated or suffer from your parents and or the media brainwashing you into thinking that the domestic manufacturers can't build quality.

You also can't blame the current economic fortunes on building what the american market demanded (aka SUV's).

And for all of you out there that think SUV's are evil, they are a necessary part of many peoples lives, not just for work, butr also for safe transportation.
For example, I live in an area that regularly sees large amounts of snow. The safety and confidence that the SUV provides makes me rest easier knowing that my wife and kids are exceptionally more safe than a small car when driving in the terrible weather.

Oh, and for build quality, my other car is a 12 year old Buick Riviera that is still going strong. A few things have stopped working, but I expect that out of a 12 year old car. I am confident in stating that my previous car, a Mitsibishi Galant, would barely have made it past 6 years

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Of course, as a rational consumer you should be concerned with buying something that you want. That's why I strongly suggest taking a gander at their lineup. It never hurts to look and then make an informed decision.

Again though, your main concern would rationally be to get a quality vehicle that fits your needs--- could be an import (I recognize that some foreign makes and models are manufactured in the U.S.), or could be a domestic.
In 2005, I wanted a vehicle that sipped fuel and wouldn't fall apart on me. There were three options: Honda Insight, Honda Civic Hybrid, and Toyota Prius. None of the Detroit idiots made a car that even got 40mpg. As for building reliable cars . . . when's the last time you read rave reviews about them in Consumer Reports?
Now you're asking me to give up my Prius (which gets over 50mpg) and look at cars that still can't get a measly 40mpg. Whatever drugs you're taking, please send them my way. :rolleyes:
GM and Ford dug their graves, jumped into them, and are burying themselves with their continued stupidity.

Esther

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Couple of months back I was shopping for a small car that had good handling and had a manual transmission. What are GM's offerings in the segment? Cobalt? Puleeze! The only real choices were either Japanese makes of VW. Went with Mazda3 and do not regret this for a minute :).

GM is good at making gas-guzzling monsters as well as rental cars, for which there is less and less demand now. The reality is that there are high-demand cars for which there are waiting lists (try to buy a Prius, for example). GM has not adapted to the changing market, presumably due to subpar management, and therefore fully deserves the position they are currently in.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Now you're asking me to give up my Prius (which gets over 50mpg) and look at cars that still can't get a measly 40mpg. Whatever drugs you're taking, please send them my way. :rolleyes:

Wow. All the guy said was to take a look at the cars, not invest your life savings in GM/F stock. If you aren't willing to take a look at what is being offered, how can you call yourself an informed buyer?

As for refusing a make for previous or current quality issues with some or many models, I wonder how old most of you are. Hyundai was a miserable wretch of a make for many years when they first hit American shores. Their cars were fine in Korea, but for some reason quality couldn't make the ocean crossings. Even now, the perception many experienced buyers have is that they are poor vehicles.

If you are looking for a vehicle that you will hold on to until you drive it into the ground, the American makes are worth a solid consideration. Build quality is not as consistent, but you will find that overall the quality is comparable to that of other makes. Factor in that you will be getting a make discount because of the negative press (or perhaps you won't be paying the make premium), and you will come out ahead in the long term. If you plan on selling it, then it makes sense to pay the premium for the higher resale value.

As for the unstoppable quality of the Japanese, my Civic gets 30mpg, primarily highway. I keep the car in as great a condition as I can, running all maintenance possible, and avoid driving more than 5 over the limit. In fact, I try to keep to the limit as much as possible. Oh, and if the service department had found what is making that grinding noise in my vehicle on one of my previous visits, I wouldn't be hoping for them to find it on my next one. Honda quality, my muscular buttocks.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I think you are all crazy for assuming that GM and Ford can only produce sub-par quality cars. Sorry that you are either uninformed, uneducated or suffer from your parents and or the media brainwashing you into thinking that the domestic manufacturers can't build quality.

You also can't blame the current economic fortunes on building what the american market demanded (aka SUV's).

And for all of you out there that think SUV's are evil, they are a necessary part of many peoples lives, not just for work, butr also for safe transportation.
For example, I live in an area that regularly sees large amounts of snow. The safety and confidence that the SUV provides makes me rest easier knowing that my wife and kids are exceptionally more safe than a small car when driving in the terrible weather.

Oh, and for build quality, my other car is a 12 year old Buick Riviera that is still going strong. A few things have stopped working, but I expect that out of a 12 year old car. I am confident in stating that my previous car, a Mitsibishi Galant, would barely have made it past 6 years

While you can't blame them for producing what the consumer wanted, you can blame them for being short sighted and didn't have vehicles ready when the consumers taste changed.

I wouldn't be calling GM vehicles subpar anymore. The new CTS an Malibu is proof GM can produce competitive cars. The Cobalt XFE( though the interior quality is on the cheap side) gets 25/36 which is the same fuel economy as the Civic. The Cobalt SS Turbocharged gets 22/30. The Civic Si gets 22/29. The Malibu 4 banger/6 speed auto gets 22/32. The Camry gets 21/31. The Impala with the 3.9 V6 gets 18/28. The Avalon gets 19/28. Their cars are certainly competitive now. you can only say they can't compete against the Prius and Camry hybrid right now. Which the Volt will change that when it comes in 2010. Out of the Big 3, GM is in the best position to make a turnaround right now.

Oh and for Consumer reports, for a magazine that claims to be unbiased they always had Toyota vehicles at good reliability even for new models that just came out. Luckily, they had egg on their face when the Camry and Tundra had some pretty major problems........

^^ nbs, is your Civic the Si?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

Doug
That should be Microsoft's mission statement.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm not interested in American cars, with a few exceptions. This is not through any lack of patriotism or Euro-snobbiness etc. The Japanese out-compete us on quality and fuel economy (and often performance), while the Europeans usually lead the way in style and design (and diesel technology, if we ever get it).

The only GM vehicles I would consider would be a work truck if I was in the market for one (I'm not, at least at the moment), or a Corvette (way out of my price range). I was interested to hear that GM is bringing the Opel Astra over here as a Saturn, but I guess that's outside the scope of this discussion (made in Belgium) and anyway it posts some very disappointing fuel economy numbers for a small car.

GM has been doing some interesting experiments with diesels in the Corvette, but why on earth debut a diesel in Corvette?!? Put it in a little Cobalt so it gets 45+mpg for goodness' sake! They are also looking into swapping some of the larger V6 and V8 engines for a turbo four, ostensibly to improve fuel economy without sacrificing too much power. An interesting if by no means revolutionary (c.f. Passat/A6) move.

GM is certainly not the only one with problems. Compare the American Ford Focus and the European version. The European Focus is a totally redesigned car whereas the American model soldiers on with the same platform it had in 1999.

The Euro version comes with a choice of seven engines, including two diesels (one of which gets over 50mpg combined cycle) and a punchy 166HP gasoline engine that still tops 30mpg combined cycle. The American version, on the other hand, gets one, yes, one engine...the 2.0L four we get here in the states is a decent engine but Euro buyers can choose from a range of much more efficient engines if they are going for economy or drop just a little economy and get over 20HP extra. WHY FORD, WHY?

I like the Focus, I was very close to buying one...but that was four years ago and Ford has done nothing with the car other than reskin it (the new sheet metal is hideous IMO, but that's a subjective statement). The original Focus was an excellent car - in 1999. The SVT Focus was also an excellent car, but is a niche vehicle and was only produced a couple of years anyway.

My point is that I believe that the Big Three can't figure out how to build a vehicle people want to buy, unless you are talking trucks and Buicks (and Buick buyers are dropping like flies, with an average age measured in geological time).

Coddling and protection by the government has left American automakers increasingly less able to compete. Take away fleet, government and truck sales and it is a very scary situation for them in the consumer market. They have the resources to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but do they have a workable plan.

Whenever I shop for a car I make it a point to test American vehicles because I want the US to make good cars so I can buy a domestic vehicle I'm proud of...so far that hasn't happened.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
North American auto manufacturers big problem: too many engineers for a few new products for the North American market.

In my opinion GM should keep only 3 brands in NA: Cadillac for Luxury, GMC or Pontiac for performance, and Chevy for the rest.
GM is doing great in other continents and what they are mostly selling are high end priced vehicles and small economy cars, the latter mostly sourced from South Korea GMDAT engineering.
GM also has a great flex fuel technology to a good extent, see the Brazilian market and you will know what I am talking about. Sugar Cane based ethanol.
GM is currently developing a lot hybrids and the electrical Volt that will be out in 2010 i think.
The key for this market to evolve is that the fuel companies allow it.
The brand recognition that Toyota has is the big challenge to overcome for the NA big 3.
________
vaaapp vaporizer

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
GM has been doing some interesting experiments with diesels in the Corvette, but why on earth debut a diesel in Corvette?!? Put it in a little Cobalt so it gets 45+mpg for goodness' sake! They are also looking into swapping some of the larger V6 and V8 engines for a turbo four, ostensibly to improve fuel economy without sacrificing too much power. An interesting if by no means revolutionary (c.f. Passat/A6) move.

GM is also testing out HCCI which is a gas engine running off compression like diesels do and switch to spark when needed.

Like I said, GM is in the best position for a turnaround. Their products are improving and GM is finally getting a bit smart. As they're selling Hummer and killing GMC( all signs point to it. Next gen Acadia killed, Ridgeline like truck has been killed. It was GMC or Pontiac). GM is doing exceptionally well abroad. It is the NA operation that is killing them. Like I said, GM's products are getting better. Just look at the next gen LaCrosse's interior.

buick-lacrosse-inside-1.jpg

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I took a very quick gander at their lineup, saw that they had nothing, and moved on. I got a VW and don't regret it for a minute. No American car can come close to the fuel economy, reliability and build quality that I get from my GTI

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
In my opinion GM should keep only 3 brands in NA: Cadillac for Luxury, GMC or Pontiac for performance, and Chevy for the rest.

I agree, GM is selling too many brands...it dilutes the product line and reduces profit margins.

GM is doing great in other continents and what they are mostly selling are high end priced vehicles and small economy cars, the latter mostly sourced from South Korea GMDAT engineering.

Most foreign GM products are just that - designed, built and sold outside the US. Which is a problem as I see it, or is at least not to the credit of GM North America.

GM also has a great flex fuel technology to a good extent, see the Brazilian market and you will know what I am talking about. Sugar Cane based ethanol.

This seemed like a good idea till recently, when we all realized that we were burning our food as fuel and worldwide food prices skyrocketed...it's still a good idea in places where it is sustainable, i.e. not interfering with food production.

GM is currently developing a lot hybrids and the electrical Volt that will be out in 2010 i think.

Hybrids are a good idea though I am mystified as to why GM chooses to introduce hybrid technology in big fat expensive trucks like the suburban - unless it is to mask the bulk and expense of the hybrid drivetrains. Small cars benefit the most from this technology. A Hybrid Cobalt is what GM needs to be selling.

I took a very quick gander at their lineup, saw that they had nothing, and moved on. I got a VW and don't regret it for a minute. No American car can come close to the fuel economy, reliability and build quality that I get from my GTI

I very much wanted a GTI, but could't afford it. Of course, the GTI runs 91 octane, so while it gets decent fuel economy you are paying a bit more for fuel.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Hybrids are a good idea though I am mystified as to why GM chooses to introduce hybrid technology in big fat expensive trucks like the suburban - unless it is to mask the bulk and expense of the hybrid drivetrains. Small cars benefit the most from this technology. A Hybrid Cobalt is what GM needs to be selling.

Make the inefficient vehicles more efficient. Plus I don't think the 2 mode system can fit in a car like the Malibu/Cobalt.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I very much wanted a GTI, but could't afford it. Of course, the GTI runs 91 octane, so while it gets decent fuel economy you are paying a bit more for fuel.

True, but the fuel economy is far better than my old car (which ran 97) so I think I'm still coming out ahead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.