Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Makes sense. However the article quotes the problem with the Chevy Nova in Spanish speaking countries. Actually that is a false hood. People in spanish speaking counties do know the difference between "no va" (No Go) and "Nova" (A stellar explosion, or a fast stellar event). This instance keep being brought up, but I actually go to the university that used to be General Motors Institue, with many professors former GM employees, and they have to continualy remind people that the "Nova" controversy never happened.

Also, what combination of words in any language does not have a strange conotation?

And, can anyone explain to me why the Geo/Chevy Metro is called the Pontiac Firefly in Canada??

TEG

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by TEG
Makes sense. However the article quotes the problem with the Chevy Nova in Spanish speaking countries. Actually that is a false hood. People in spanish speaking counties do know the difference between "no va" (No Go) and "Nova" (A stellar explosion, or a fast stellar event). This instance keep being brought up, but I actually go to the university that used to be General Motors Institue, with many professors former GM employees, and they have to continualy remind people that the "Nova" controversy never happened.

Also, what combination of words in any language does not have a strange conotation?

Originally posted by TEG
And, can anyone explain to me why the Geo/Chevy Metro is called the Pontiac Firefly in Canada??

I think they're two different cars. Both GM however.

Danger! Will

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Phoenix, Arizona USA
A chevy/geo metro was NEVER a GM car. It was a rebadged Suzuki Swift.
About Firefly. I wouldn't want to drive something called a firefly. Fire and fly are words i'd never want associated with a car.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by Danger! Will
A chevy/geo metro was NEVER a GM car. It was a rebadged Suzuki Swift.
About Firefly. I wouldn't want to drive something called a firefly. Fire and fly are words i'd never want associated with a car.

It was, however, sold by the Chevrolet division of GM under the Geo brand.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Re: GM Renames Buick LaCrosse in Canada

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Why? Because among the youth of Quebec, "LaCrosse" is a slang term for masturbation.

LINK

Hmm, and I played lax in highschool and college.

I wonder if they're thinking of renaming La Crosse, Wisconsin ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Re: GM Renames Buick LaCrosse in Canada

Originally posted by Juventuz
Hmm, and I played lax in highschool and college.

I wonder if they're thinking of renaming La Crosse, Wisconsin ;)

They certainly haven't renamed Intercourse, Pennsylvania, in Amish country. :D I think there is more business there than in Bird-in-Hand, PA but I don't think it's because of the name.

If Generic Motors can get anyone younger than 40 to buy their Buick vehicles, I would be surprised. They've been using Tiger Woods to draw the younger closer, but so far, it hasn't worked.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I read that article in the paper this morning and had a good laugh. :) I remember a few friends from Montreal who taught me some fracophone slang along the same lines complete with a hand gesture known as "The Quebec stranger" ... but it doesn't translate very well to the written word. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.