GM Users: OS Updates via App Store or Software Update??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Drzed, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Drzed macrumors member

If I decide to keep my GM version of Lion (no point re-installing if it's the same build number) will any future OS updates come via Software update as has been the case with Apple until now, or will they be coming via the Mac App store Update mechanism?

If they come through the Mac App store mechanism that could be problematic

2. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

they come threw software update. i have the GM and was able to download the remote desktop update released today

3. itzman macrumors newbie

I had GM instal now it shows lion installed in app store so no need to download again

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I assume you obtained said GM illegally? I was looking into this earlier (out of curiosity - I have a dev account), and basically, the installer app package is signed to whoever downloaded the software from the Mac App Store. The .dmg and the OS, however, are not flagged in any way. Therefore, you are right. If updates come through Software Update, everybody will be able to update without any problems. If they come through the Mac App Store, those without a receipt for downloading Lion at some point in the first place, will probably be unable to update.

That being said, I highly doubt that Apple would run actual OS software updates through the Mac App Store, since Software Update has some pretty deep permissions access in order to patch the OS at a pretty low level. If the Mac App Store had such control over the system, it could be a severe security risk, that I doubt Apple would want to deal with.

5. gtvyt macrumors member

I have 3 macs at home, one with GM installed and all with the same Apple id. When I tried to buy the retail version on the GM machine it says it is already installed so I tried to buy it from the other mac (SL) and it says I already purchase it and let me download the retail version for free.
    FWIW