GM Version

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SinisterPower, Jul 15, 2011.

1. SinisterPower macrumors member

SinisterPower

Just installed the GM version of Lion. What are your thoughts on it? Btw I do't think it can get more final then though but i'll still buy the full version on my Internal HDD instead of external like the GM is.:apple::apple:

2. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

A few quirks. Some oddities with third party software but those will be fixed with updates in the coming weeks. Very solid for a 10.7.0.

A few gripes:
    • Mission control is just annoying. I wish there was an option to revert back to Snow Leopard style expose to see all windows laid out in a grid. If you have 3 or 4 Finder windows open, you can't see which is which.
    • Launchpad I haven't even used and probably won't.
    • Wish some of the gestures in Snow Leopard were still an option as well. Three-finger swipe to navigate back and forward I used constantly. I also used the four-finger swipe up to show the desktop. These are easily fixed with BetterTouchTool though.
    • The cartoony/cheesy UI of iCal and Address Book is an eyesore, again, I wish Apple included an option to turn that off.

3. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Hey for those who've had GM running for a while was wondering if there was a way in Lion to password lock the screen without killing wifi data (like say a download or open ichat window)

thanks

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Require password after x minutes of sleep under the general tab of Security and Privacy.

5. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

I have this enabled i meant more is there a way for me to force my computer to go to screensaver so that this password lock will work.

Used a dashboard widget called padlock before to do this but now it doesn't seem to work with lion and won't activate the screensaver.

Thanks

6. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Ya know 4 finger swipe down is Current App Expose

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Keychain -> Prefs -> Show Status in menu bar. Choose lock screen.

8. SinisterPower thread starter macrumors member

SinisterPower

Exposé was better but mission control is somewhat the same. But if you do have multiple windows of an app open then you can;t tell which is which and I don't like that. I agree with you on launchpad. I read a thread saying that don't you think it's possible that they could remove the dock? I could see that happening with that stupid launchpad.:apple::apple:

9. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Thanks exactly what i needed

10. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

If you are using Lion legally, you are a certified Mac Developer; in which case you will not have to buy a new copy of Lion when it comes out.
    John

11. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

I have not really been using expose that much with 10.6, rather I used spaces as expose.

Now in 10.7 with mission control, I am using the expose function more rather then desktop scroll..

12. azuma macrumors newbie

If you own a Magic Trackpad, you can swipe up by two fingers and Mission control will shows up all of the windows opened, but still not very clear to see all of the windows, may be due to my screen's 1024x768 resolution.

Attached Files:

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

• Agreed
    • Same.
    • You can still use three fingers to navigate back/forward, it's one of the options that allows you to use both two finger and three finger gestures. As for show desktop, I miss the simplicity of for fingers up but got used to the new one except I use all 5 fingers, easier that way than Apple's thumb/three finger gesture.
    • Agree but it's a cosmetic thing, so don't really mind.

As far as I know and with all the videos I've seen, they will never fully expand where you see each window as a whole, it'll just be a slight spread out where parts of windows would still be hidden. It would be much better if when you spread the windows out, they actually go into a grid like Expose in Snow Leopard, at least that'll be much more useful than what it's currently doing.

14. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I found the back/forward three-finger gestures. Must have overlooked them. I find them to be very unreliable in the Finder though, occasionally they'll stop working completely.

Mission Control does a great job of showing you what applications are open but fails at showing you the individual windows within a specific application.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think that's what most people's problem with Mission Control is. With Snow Leopard, it was *four-finger swipe down* and boom, app applications in a grid INCLUDING minimized windows, much more quicker and efficient IMO.

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'm still trying to understand the purpose of Launchpad. That should have been the home screen, the way its set up. It is pointless.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

I can do this with Lion. The minimized windows appear as a somewhat smaller row than the visible windows, but they are there. I can't remember if this is different than Snow Leopard or not.

18. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Just a quick one..

Apps like BetterTouchTool provide for other gestures one can assign to manage the mission control etc.

Although there is all bunch of possibilities, I personally struggle with having to many assigned (I can't bloody remember).

But 3 and/or 4 finger tap to bring the mission control works really well.. as well as top, bottom and corner taps for different things.

Having said that, I did send a feedback to Apple asking for some things, but in the mean time (while Apple is being Apple :) ) it might be worth getting used to the way Lion works. Probably way more beneficial than complaining about it.

Especially in forums..

Going back to 10.6 (or not upgrading, which ever applicable) is also an option, of course.

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can still do that with Lion but only windows for ONE application vs. All App Expose' in Snow Leopard. As for minimized windows, that's complete taken out of Expose'/Mission Control like it was in Leopard.

20. lomby macrumors regular

I don't have lion yet on my 2011 MBP, i am waiting for release; some people in other threads have lag issues? I was wondering if you have had any? Thanks in advance :D

21. TurboTalon macrumors newbie

One app expose is CRAP. I need SL back. I want to see all my windows separated by that little bar (minimized) so that I can quickly switch between apps. I don't understand how the gesture I use the most.... is gone.

22. lomby macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Try Ilockscreen on the Mac Apps store, but I'm not sure if it works in lion just yet.

23. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Hmmm that's cool. Can you now reliably assign shortcut keys to menu extra items?

Ooh while thinking about that, does the 'Open Selected Item in TextEdit' service do ANYTHING in Lion? That'd be a sweet change.

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It looks like my iPad; so I would have to agree ^^^ and the point is...:confused: