gma 950 vs gma x3100 for iChat AV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ashok77, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ashok77 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Just have a quick question for the forum. I'm considering a MacBook (black or white polycarbonite) for my gf that's going to be working abroad for the next year. I have a MacBook Pro and the plan was to use iChat AV to communicate. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2.16 ghz with 2gb of ram for a decent price. From what i understand this is the mid-2007 model so it has the gma 950 integrated graphics.

How will the video be on iChat with this chip vs the newer gma x3100 chip in the later models? Would it be better to find a later model with x3100 graphics?

Thanks!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

A friend purchased my old GMA950 equipped MacBook and we often use it to stay in contact via iChat AV and Skype (both with video). I have never seen any issues with using that application on the system, as the H.264 encoded video on iChat uses little CPU overall, and we have yet to have problems with it.

The most issues you will run into while doing an AV chat, is bandwidth and artifacts caused by poor or slow connections.

[​IMG]

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

For iChat, there is no effective difference between the 950 or x3100.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just make sure you have a sustainable internet connection.

5. ashok77 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the great responses everyone!

What would be impacted the most by the gma 950 graphics?

My gf will primarily be using it for iChat, emailing, internet, word docs, powerpoint and iphoto. Any issues with performance of any of these?

How about video performance? ie. DVD's, avi's etc..

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Nope.

you can even do some decent video editing and "some" games on it without overly taxing the system. It is a good platform overall!

[​IMG]

7. ashok77 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks again everyone...the feedback has been very useful!