GMA950 comparable to - ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Nick, Jun 19, 2007.

1. -Nick macrumors member

Hey, I'm going to be ordering a Macbook pretty soon for school, and just wondering what dedicated card the included GMA950 would be comparable to. Now, I know the 950 is craptastic as far as gaming goes, but I have a desktop where I can do that. The only gaming I'll be doing on my laptop would be the occational Starcraft, WarCraft3, and possible a bit of NWN1.

The other specs of the Macbook would be:

2.16C2D
    1.5GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM (upgrading with aftermarket RAM :) )
    120GB HDD @ 540RPM

So in this situation, would the graphics capabilities be comparable to, say, a FX5200? More? Less? Just looking for a general idea here. Thanks.

2. sanzaborn33 macrumors newbie

This is a good question. I have an old Powerbook G4 12" with the Geforce Go 5200 64MB and I would like to get some comparison to the MacBook's and the GMA 950. Searching...

EDIT: Specs on the Geforce Go 5200:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=74&pgno=0

Specs on the GMA 950:

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

It looks like the GMA 950 is just a much newer card when compared to the old, outdated and poorly inadequate Geforce 5 series cards in general.

Still searching on what is comparable to the GMA 950 chipset from the ATI and nVidia camps...

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

3D gaming, it does rather leave a lot to be desired... but there are those playing HL2 quite happily. Starcraft, WarCraft3 - no probs - would think that would be the case with Neverwinter.

Can't help you in terms of what the GMA 950 is equivalent to - but I always like to base such things on real-world usage - if you do a search you'll find quite a few user experiences which will give you an idea, plus some people have uploaded footage of games running on MBs - take a look!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you look at this link, you will see that the GMA950 places somewhere between the X200 and X300 Radeon cards and comes in slightly faster than the FX5200 and slower than the FX6100.

All this is FWIW. Ignatius' comments should be heeded.

5. sanzaborn33 macrumors newbie

Nice link. TY!

6. Igantius macrumors 65816