gmail 2 step verification

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I had to add the 2 step verification for gmail after repeated attempts by people to get into my account, but doing so made it not work with Apple's Mail program. It actually won't even let me get my mail at all. I've been going to gmail.com since I set it up, and been really disappointed with it. I'd prefer to go back to Mail if possible. Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

2. Enzedder macrumors member

G-Mail will create a new password for each device/application you use to access it, you'll use that unique password for each app instead of your normal email password, have a look under your G-Mail settings (via the browser).

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Every time I use it on different computers / browsers / apps it uses the same name and password, it just sends a text to my phone so I can verify it. I looked under the settings like you said and it also just talked about getting texts, not needing new passwords for every device :(.

4. Enzedder, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

Enzedder macrumors member

Have a look under your accounts (G-Mail) security settings you'll have the option to add clients/devices.

Attached Files:

5. moetown macrumors newbie

Edzedder is correct. You need an application specific password. I have to put one for each device I use Youtube on. Had to do it to even be able to upload videos to youtube from my iPhone. Here is the google help page on on it, https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en