Gmail 5.0

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Dontazemebro, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Dontazemebro, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I'm so excited. Not only does the new material design look stunning but Google's Lollipop release will finally bring us a one stop shop email app with all your accounts baked in like Outlook and Yahoo.

You can download the apk file over at xda. I don't know if it's proper forum etiquette to link another site but you can search for "Gmail 5.0 xda" and it'll show up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ddyracer, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

My body is readyyyyyyyy.

Doesn't work in the 5.0 preview. Oh well.

3. kepler20b macrumors 6502

ohh i like that redesign.

i hated the blocky color coded labels. It took up too much of the screen

4. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I love the new play store so I'm excited for this as well. Although I really don't have any issues with whatever the current gmail is.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Bleh, can't get it to sync my outlook account. No unified inbox is a bummer also. Why does Google always release things 80% done?

8. Dontazemebro thread starter macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Maybe the unified inbox will come on a later release. Also not a fan of having to switch between accounts.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The lack of unified inbox doesn't bother me much. As long as it notifies me from all my email accounts. Switching between accounts is simple and fast.

10. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

I like the new version, it's slicker than the previous, still getting used to that darned red spot (create new email button) down the bottom.

Personally I'm happy there is no unified mailbox at the moment, keeping an option to have them separate will be essential for me as I have work email and personal on the same device and want them segregated, but in the same app.

I also like the fact you can set different notifications for each account. Quite handy!

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You can set up labels too. Which leaves the only major UI difference between this and the inbox app, is that the inbox app shows attachment previews.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I like the new design. I've only just installed the apk so I'm still getting used to the functionality.