Gmail Account Hacked, Please Advise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barr08, Apr 8, 2010.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

I have been using the same Gmail account for a number of years, and have never had a problem with it. This morning, I wake up and see that somehow, emails were sent to everyone I have emailed in the past 2 years or so. This includes all job prospects, family members, ex girlfriends, etc...

So I changed the password on my Gmail account. My question is - is this enough? I do not want this happening again. Do you think this account is at higher risk now, or is it back to being as safe as it was before with the new password.

If we think that my account is somehow at higher risk now, I will have to delete the address and start over, which would be a huge pain!

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's not much else you can do besides changing the password.

3. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

That and sending out a message explaining that you got hacked. Just good etiquette.

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

That sucks...Did you check the access log at the bottom? that may help...it's where it says "Last account activity: 49 minutes ago on this computer. Details"

-J.-

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Well, the other option would be deleting the account and making a new one, if this has put me at higher risk.

I sent out personalized apologies to all of my business contacts.

Interesting. I will have to check this out when I get home. (Can't access the Gmail website from work)

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Make sure you don't access the account because it only keeps a few entries in the log...even with an iPhone through IMAP...

-J.-

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I got hacked one time and I contacted google and they did an investigation into it. I mean obviously if someone hacked it, you'd want them to know about it so they could check their security and better it or fix a hole if need be.

Needless to say, after advising them, and changing my password (had to do so through them, the hacker changed it)... it has been fine for about two years now.

8. ranguvar macrumors 6502

You might also want to check if the hackers didn't set up the auto-forward feature available on GMail, and they didn't set up a secondary mail address hey could use to change your password.

9. ethical macrumors 68000

This has prompted me to change my password now. It's been the same for quite a while.

Do you mind if I ask what they wrote in the mass email? Was it just mindless spam?

10. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

This is a great idea. I didn't even think about this. Thanks!

The subject was one of the following:

~~Hi~~
    Hey
    Apo

And the body was either blank, or had a link to a website that sold penis enhancement medication.