Gmail always "timed-out"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joejoejoe, May 24, 2007.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

My gmail only seems to work 50% of the time, and I hate it.

First of all, I can't get it to work with the mail app. I follow all the directions on Gmail Help, and it simply doesn't work.

Secondly, half the time when I go to gmail.com, or mail.google.com, it takes 10 minutes to load, and my "google notifier" in the menu bar has an exlamation point and says "timed out"

It kills me. I tried searching but no luck.

Can anyone help??

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hm. Just curious, could you go to Mail> Window> Connection Doctor and see if everything checks out there?

And just double check that in Mail> Preferences> Accounts (then select your Gmail account on the left hand side)> Account Information

see if "Incoming Mail Server" is listed as: "pop.gmail.com"
    and at the bottom, click "Server Settings..." to double check that; try setting the Server port to 587 (and make sure your user name is your full gmail email address, including the @gmail.com).

Picture 4.png

And double check that in Mail> Preferences> Accounts> Advanced tab
    the "Enable this account" should be checked, and at the bottom, the Port should read 995, and "Authentication" in that drop down menu should be set to "Password."

Picture 5.png

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks so much - all this stuff in the mail app seems to check out just fine, exactly like what you posted. the images are so helpful thanks for taking the time.

I think the issue might be connected to the fact that gmail.com itself is giving me problems to begin with, so maybe another application trying to get to it is problematic also, I don't know...

Are there any issues with OSX and gmail or is it just me?

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Bother. That's a drag. I sort of thought that that's what you were getting at but missed it. :eek:

Okay, so do you mean to say that gmail.com, that google via a web browswer won't even work?! Not gmail notifier (I don't use that thingiemabob, I just use mail.app or a web browser, so I'm of even less use for that).

Hmm. Odd. Have you tried a different browser? Could it just be your ISP? (So clueless.) I poked around gmail's own help section, didn't see anything of relevance. And I'm sorry to say, I've never really had issues w/ gmail via the web and just the occasional hiccup w/ mail.app.

*paging someone, anyone better at this* :eek:

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Some ISPs don't like people sending mail through servers other than their own, and do their darndest to block attempts to do otherwise. If you have one of these ISPs, I feel sorry for you, as there's not a whole lot you can do to get around their block. :( :mad:

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My ISP has a crappy DNS (Mediacomm but I believe they get their DNS through AT&T) and gmail doesn't resolve every so often... that might be the issue...

7. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I too have had very sketchy Gmail access through Mail this last week or so. The website itself largely seems ok, but the connection with Mail seems to be timed out more often than not. Anoying.

8. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

My Google gmail account works for me and I love it!! 100% up time and always on! lighting fast and never a problem. Why are you trying to use Google gmail through Apple mail ??????

9. unknown87 macrumors regular

For convienience perhaps? I love to be able to receive all my mail from all my accounts in one place with a great looking UI. Thats just me though...

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well, first of all, the OP stated that even gmail via a web browswer doesn't always work for her/him. As for why using mail.app?

Yup. And it's not just you, unknown. I think a good number of Mac users use POP/IMAP email accounts through mail.app.

I didn't really get the big deal until I started using it myself. Now I feel so dirty and handicapped whenever I don't. :p Okay, more specifically, I like that it alerts me w/out having to go to the web browser (and yes I realize gmail has that notifier thingie, but that sort of rubs me the wrong way). I like that it's incredibly easy and fast to modify the email you're composing through mail.app. And it's drag 'n' drop for video/ audio clips and images. Plus, it's a one-step way to have a copy of my email on my HDD as well as online.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Absotruethat. The biggest benefit for me is that e-mail from all my services (seven of them) is integrated in one place under one interface.

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I did a clean install last night on my PB, and the only thing not working reliably now, is this exact thing. Glad to see it's not just me!

I agree with the posters who said something along these lines:

13. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Just to let people know... I've been having the same problems with my gmail in mail.app recently, it's starting to get annoying - mail will only send half the time, keeps not connecting to receive mail etc.

Ed

14. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I think it's temporary - mine has (touch wood) returned to normal. Hopefully it shouldn't last more than a week for you guys, too.

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Mine has been okay now the last couple of days, too.

16. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I've had issues sending mail using Gmail from Mail.app the past few days. I can receive new mail fine, but sending always times out. I have to go to Gmail's web UI to send mail.

17. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Magically Mail has started to work with my gmail... guess it decided to start being nice. Now I get my gmail and university mail all in once place... gmail still doesn't work as seamlessly as my IMAP university account but oh well... what can you do. (I guess I'll just keep having to deal with everything I send from my gmail account popping up in my inbox).

I'm never going to gmail.com again... that website just seems cursed from my comp.

THanks again.