GMail and Apple Mail IMAP is a pathetic combo...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PCM, Nov 26, 2007.

1. PCM macrumors regular

Anyone else having absolutely painful IMAP experience? It seems that it might be GMail but this is unusable. I'm thinking of going back to POP. So slowwwwwwwww.....

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Or you could switch to AOL. I've been using their IMAP with Apple Mail for years now. ;)

3. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I was having issues when the IMAP was just launched. Some of the issues are due to incorrect config of the folders in Mail.app, meaning that it will be doing of unnecessary things if it's incorrectly configured. back then Gmail hadn't put the recommened settings for Mail.app on their website... After checking that config, everything seems to work smoother.

Give that a try; it worked for me :D

4. steebu macrumors member

IMAP Gmail on my iPhone is actually faster than on Apple Mail. I just did a test and it took 16 seconds on Apple Mail and just 5 seconds on my iPhone Mail to receive the same email!

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes, it's pushing me back to POP. It's so slow, I am constantly finding myself logging into the web to check because IMAP is so unreliable.

6. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I haven't had any problems with Gmail IMAP. Are you sure it isn't a config issue?