Gmail and Apple Mail - iPhone Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmmo20, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I have a question; when you receive an email in your iphone's Mail, does its content sync back to Apple Mail when you plug in your iphone into your mac?
    Can you specify a different account in iphone's mail to those set up in Apple Mail?

I think there might be a problem with Gmail!
    Whenever you download a mail from Gmail, google marked is as download and if you try to check your email somewhere else (like in your Mac), that email won't be downloaded again..

so.. if I use my iPhone to check Gmail, I would end up with a bunch of emails at the iphone and a bunch of different emails in my mac, but not all together.

if, on the other hand, I could set up a different email account on my iphone, I would go and create a new gmail account, set up a forwarding rule at my main gmail account and then set it up on my iphone so that it checks the secondary gmail account rather than the main. That would solve the problem.

What are your views on this? i'm sure a lot of peopl use gmail on their iphones ...

thanks! :)

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Not true. I have my Gmail account going through Apple mail on my Mac and on my iPhone and messages come through in both places.

3. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well saying that's not true is a bit harsh in my opinion. I still don't have an iPhone but i've been trying to reproduce this by setting up the same gmail account on 2 differnt mail programs; if a new mail is downloaded to one program, it is not downloaded in a second program.

Maybe your gmail account is set up differently.. what options do you have in your "forwarding and POP" settings in your gmail account?

thanks.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sorry, I wasn't calling you a liar. I was just trying to alleviate your concerns by telling you how it worked on my phone. I believe that Apple Mail works differently on the iPhone than it does on a Mac, so I'm not sure if your tests will really give you accurate results. But anyway, here is a screen shot of my gmail settings (easier than trying to describe it). Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

5. roblawton macrumors 6502

The way my gmail is set up at the moment is to archive messages which are downloaded by POP.

Then when I use my macbook I don't get the same emails on my iMac.

I think when I get my iPhone - I'm gonna change the settings to mirror yours - just keeping the mail in the inbox.

This is possibly what the OP needs to change as the problem you're getting is how mine is setup currently.

6. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

to the OP:

do you have "recent mode" turned on on in the iPhone gmail account settings? if not, then that could be why you're not getting mail on your mac when you've received it on the phone already. It's one of the unfortunately side effects of having POP vs. IMAP.

Go to settings>mail>the name of your gmail account>advanced, then scroll to the bottom and you should see whether recent mode is on or off.

Hope that helps!

7. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

with me, if i get emails on my iPhone (with my mac off) when i turn my mac on, i get the same email...

...however if i get emails on my mac (with my iPhone off) then when i turn on my iPhone, i dont get it... I DON'T WANT THIS, cos the iPhone only checks for mail every 15 mins, and the Mac every 1, so theres a 1/15 chance that my iPhone will get a messege before my mac... if my mac is ON (which it usally is) then its unlikely i will get mail on the iPhone.

help?