Gmail and Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kahnyl, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2009
    Ever since I switched to using Gmail with Exchange instead of imap I've found the experience to be problematic. One thing I'm noticing is that All Mail only shows about 10 messages even though I've set it to show the most recent 1,000. There's also the terrible way it handles deleting / Archiving and the fact that folders like Sent and Draft don't have all the same emails as on the server.

Two questions: Can I do anything to improve it or is this the best that Google Sync can do?

Does Gmail do push imap yet? It's the only reason I switched to Exchange so that would solve this instantly.
  2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Nov 6, 2009
    Weird. I use Gmail as my mail address for my iPhone and I have around 50 emails in the inbox. (Oddly, on my iPhone, the limit is to display 200, not 1,000 like you say you have, but perhaps it's a function of my phone (3G) or memory?)

I just added this account under settings and chose Gmail and let the iPhone handle the setup. I did it 3 years ago, so I can't recall if I used imap or Exchange...but whatever the default is works well. I have it check my email every 30 minutes, so maybe you chose to go Exchange to get more frequent updates?
  3. whsbuss macrumors 68040

May 4, 2010
    SE Penna.
    If you would have done a search on the topic you'd know the answer. This has been posted so many times its not worth responding again. DO A SEARCH!
  4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Setting up an Exchange account for Gmail is the route to go.
  5. Krandor macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2010
    Yet you still responded.