Gmail and Lion Mail App integration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Substance90, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Substance90 macrumors regular

Hi people,
    Ever since Lion came out I finally decided to try using the built-in Mail application as a main e-mail client, partly because it uses the Macbook Air's screen so well in full screen mode.

Anyway, I have a few questions about reading a Gmail address in the Mail app:

1) When moving mails in the Mail app to a particular "folder", in Gmail it just adds labels to the e-mails in question and doesn't really move them in their respected folders, they stay in the Inbox. How can I fix this?

2) After an e-mail has been sent from the Mail app it doesn't automatically go to Gmail's "Sent" folder but just gets a "Sent messages" label assigned to it. Can this be fixed?

3) Same as (2) but for Deleted e-mails. :(

Thanks in advance.

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

If you have folders set up in gmail online, when you use Lion's app, those folders should show up on the side under the 'gmail' tab and if you move messages in there, it will specifically move the messages into those folders. You will get the labels if you make your folders under the main Lion inbox/sent/trash etc. If they're nested under gmail, they'll actually be moved. The folders in gmail section must be made on the web interface only though (as far as my knowledge and experience goes). This will mitigate both of your issues I believe. A copy of your sent items will be moved into Gmail's own 'sent' items (I think its also based on a selection in the preferences menu about 'saving a copy of sent mail' (unclick this to prevent duplication).

I'm half asleep this morning here too so If someone else wants to clarify/contribute to my concept please do.