Gmail and Mail app - i just dont get it sorry

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mcbar, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Mcbar macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    please someone help me out - its driving me mad. bulletpoints:
    - using mail on snow leopard for gmail sky account
    - discovered that my mail folder is 1.2Gb so wanted to have a clear out
    - went online and deleted all but 91 messages
    - deleted user/library/mail/imap...../allmessages file (600Mb) (there were 2 of the imap....folders for some reason)
    - sorted out all folders in mail app
    - restarted mail and the 'all messages' folder is now downloading 7455 messages!!
    not sure where it is getting the messages from as i have deleted all online content from server including clearing trash and everything.
    its driving me mad - not least because i dont really understand how the whole imap and gmail thing works. all i want to do is keeo the 100 or so important messages from the last few years and start a fresh with my emails
    any help would be great - you guys have helped me in my hour of need before and i am hoping for it again :)

:confused:

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I was almost about to stop using imap just because of that. But I found a lab feature of gmail. Its name: Advanced IMAP Controls

Once you make this feature enable, you will be able to set which boxes do you want to sync with imap (from setting/labels)

I hope this will help you.

3. Mcbar thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply but a quick bit of digging and it seems to me that Sky don't have the 'google lab' thing that you are suggesting

4. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Sorry, I didn't realize you said Sky. I don't know any way for Sky.

5. Mcbar thread starter macrumors newbie

just want to bump this as its driving me mad, must be a way to do this with Sky's email set up. please help if you can
    ta

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Is that a setting in mail or gmail.com that needs to be changed? This same issue has been driving me insane for the past few months. Everytime I delete messages, mail just re downloads them again. All 15,000 of them :rolleyes:

7. Mcbar thread starter macrumors newbie

you need to do it online on the settings and then labels tab of your email server page, my problem is that my email provider doesnt seem to have that option :(

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

In Gmail do I just "hide all?"

9. Mcbar thread starter macrumors newbie

i think you need to hide the 'all mail folder' from imap downloads or something like that, like i said in op i don't really get it sorry

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I just hid them all. Seems to have worked so far.

11. Mcbar thread starter macrumors newbie

glad i could help you with yours, now i wonder if someone can help me with mine :)