GMAIL and MAIL.APP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zainjetha, Feb 16, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi guys

I have just configured my Leopard Mail.app to synchronize perfectly with my GMail web interface on my MacBook Pro, and iPhone and also on my office-owned iMac. I have set the Drafts, Junk, Sent, and Trash to synchronize to their corresponding folders on GMail's Web Interface, and there are no unneccessary folders.

I have plenty of email and these are are all categorized into several folders which are synchronized on my two machines and iPhone and thus prevents me logging into the GMail Web Interface which i hate doing. What I would like to know is where are my mails stored? On the Mac Harddisk or on GMail's IMAP server?

I would like to ensure that ALL my mails are stored on harddisks of both machines including iPhone and ALSO ON GMAIL SERVER, NOT THAT THE MAIL HAS TO BE PULLED FROM GMAIL SERVER BUT SYNCHED WITH IT...

I'm also very happy about this as it prevents me purchasing a .Mac account as all i would use it for is Mail synchronization.

Many thanks

Zain M S M Jetha

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Your mail is stored on your computer and on Googles servers. WHen you get a new message, mail syncs that message down,.. also when you create a draft, delete a message or send a message, the changes are synced back up to the server. I'm assuming that you are using IMAP

Hope this helps

3. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoa that was a speedy reply bro..

can you just tell me where exactly the messages are stored on the Macs.. would be very useful... im using IMAP...

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

They're under the ~/Library/Mail directory. For example, my IMAP messages are stored under /Users/lyle/Library/Mail/IMAP-me@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com.