Gmail and VPN?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TappistRT, Aug 5, 2008.

1. TappistRT macrumors newbie

Hey all, first post here on the forums. I did a search to see if anyone else is having this same issue, so I hope this isn't a repost.

I connect to a PPTP VPN to access my Outlook/Exchange work email, but I also check my Gmail accounts on my iPhone as well. My problem is that I haven't figured out a way that I can get my Gmail to work (send or receive) while conneceted to the VPN, so I have to turn off the VPN in order to check my Gmail accounts.

Is there a workaround so I can just stay connected to my VPN all the time and be able to check my Gmail?

2. TappistRT thread starter macrumors newbie

Also note that our company's VPN doesn't disallow any traffic that I know of. I had a Samsung Blackjack and was able to check my Exchange email w/ ActiveSync and also have my Gmail constantly checking.

3. b1tr0tt macrumors newbie

Gmail & VPN -- you need to clear your DNS cache

This is the top hit on Google for this particular issue. My experience is that it's necessary to flush your DNS cache to access Gmail and other Google Apps services after opening the VPN tunnel. This is probably due to Google distributing geo-optimized IP addresses for accessing their services on the CDN.

This may only apply to users who are using international VPN tunnels. (In my case, from another country with a VPN exit gateway in the USA.)

On a Mac you can open a terminal and run the following:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

You may also need to exit your browser and start it again.

Hope that helps!

Peter

4. mlacieta macrumors newbie

These US VPN I like to share is something you guys should check. They cover all your security needs and adds advantage unlike any other VPN service provider with their benefits you're sure to acquire once you use them. They're really amazing.