Gmail App for iOS Now Includes Option to Disable Conversation View

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Gmail app for iOS was today updated with an option to turn off the threaded conversation view that some users have been unhappy with.

Toggling off "Conversation View" in the Settings menu in the Gmail app will now let users see each of their emails listed individually in their inbox rather than grouped up in an "easier to digest and follow" format, as Google puts it.

Gmail on the desktop has long allowed users to turn off Conversation View, and today's update introduces feature parity on mobile devices.

Your Conversation View settings are synced across devices, so if Conversation View is disabled on desktop, it will be disabled on mobile and vice versa.

Google says the toggle for disabling Conversation View is rolling out to all iOS and Android users, but it could take up to 15 days for the feature to be visible to everyone.

Article Link: Gmail App for iOS Now Includes Option to Disable Conversation View

2. rcooked macrumors regular

This app is dead to me without unified inbox.

3. grobik macrumors member

grobik

Yeah. This app is only useful if you only have one Gmail account and no other email accounts.

4. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

5. amt2002 macrumors member

Thank goodness! I might finally be able to start using this app now!

6. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

my gmail gets such truckloads of spam that I can't imagine ever unifying it with my other mails. Best to keep a separate app for that.

I am glad that they removed this conversation view. It was a mighty flaming boil in the esophagus.

7. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

I only use it in addition to the main Mail app - to get access to proprietary Google features (stars and labels).

8. m0sher macrumors regular

m0sher

:cool: Nice tweak.

I use Google mail about every year and a half for like six months while I decide if I’m going back to android or not.

If I don’t I go back to android I’ll go back to using Apple mail for better fluency with my iPhone. Both email programs work well for me so there no bias, I like both.

9. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Not being snarky, but genuinely curious: what is the advantage of disabling conversation view?

10. palmerized macrumors regular

I wish Gmail updated their iPad app to support split-screen and external keyboard controls. Other GSuite apps support this (Drive, Sheets, Docs, Calendar, etc.).

Till then, I use Mail on my iPad Pro.

11. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

It's a real pain to read emails in the app in the conversation view. I can never get to the right mail. And if I start responding to a mail and want to go back to a mail to refer to something, it's really clunky. It's at least manageable on the desktop. On the phone, I really struggle. Much rather prefer the stock iOS mail apps implementation of clubbing together by subject but keeping individual mail separate.