Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
FINALLY. I can finally stop refreshing the app store wishing this update would come out.

JK, Google Voice is still a mess.

It amazes me how popular Gmail is when it’s quite possibly the worst email client after Lotus Notes... I have to use it for work and the UI is just pure garbage.

asiboy14

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
The "developers" were too butthurt to even mention support for the X on the app notes. Pretty much explains the mentality of most of it's user base.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Google should be ashamed how long it took to get this out.

I'm ashamed by your comment. :p

The iPhone X has been publicly available for exactly 32 days... and maybe Google's iOS developers were a little busy with previous projects?!?!

I'm sorry you had to use the GMail app with black bars for the last 32 days.

But your long national nightmare is over.

Enjoy the new GMail app. Have a beer and celebrate. :)

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK

The iPhone X has been publicly available for exactly 32 days... and maybe Google's iOS developers were a little busy with previous projects?!?!

Exactly this - how much did @clutchm3 want to pay Google for the updated app & their work involved?

Everybody wants everything for nothing now & to then bitch about how long it took afterwards - it's not like the service was down. Get over yourself.
[doublepost=1512464489][/doublepost]
same here.. don't see the update

Mine updated but I didn't see any change. Deleted & reinstalled and now it's there.

Last edited:

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010

Well, to be honest, iOS 11 was announced and available for beta testing and development in June. By following the safe area rules they could've started updating Gmail back then already. Then, the iPhone X got announced in September and they could've tested it in Xcode simulator from that date onwards. So actually Google had months the time to update their app.

Not saying we have the right to complain about a free app, but I personally used Gmail and Google Maps a lot less because of the app not being updated. I can't imagine Google wants users to use their most important apps less (I even tried out Apple Maps for a day, but ran back to Google Maps quickly enough). But both have been updated, so everybody can move along now :)

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
[...]

Not saying we have the right to complain about a free app, but I personally used Gmail and Google Maps a lot less because of the app not being updated. I can't imagine Google wants users to use their most important apps less (I even tried out Apple Maps for a day, but ran back to Google Maps quickly enough). But both have been updated, so everybody can move along now :)

Google will have barely noticed - iPhone X is 2% of base (I don't know whether that's 2% of iPhone, or 2% of iOS - doesn't matter ...) and of that 2% it will still only be a small number of dweebs who've even noticed / care. Oddly Macrumors users are not representative of the wider population of, erm, normal people who - believe it or not - will be more focused on the content of their email than in the format of it's presentation.

Once you're hooked into the Google ecosystem & they're reading your email, monitoring your websearches and tracking all of your movements then you're probably also doing them a favour by taking a break on their app and reducing their workload.

I also heard there was some "Google smartphone" launched recently, though I've not looked into it. Maybe that soaked up some of their effort, rather than doing more work for free for iOS users for no money & little thanks.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It amazes me how popular Gmail is when it’s quite possibly the worst email client after Lotus Notes... I have to use it for work and the UI is just pure garbage.
F**k Lotus Notes, worst piece of crap in the world. T_T
[doublepost=1512487888][/doublepost]
Well, to be honest, iOS 11 was announced and available for beta testing and development in June. By following the safe area rules they could've started updating Gmail back then already. Then, the iPhone X got announced in September and they could've tested it in Xcode simulator from that date onwards. So actually Google had months the time to update their app.

You have every right to complain about Gmail app because the price we pay is Google’s right to read all our emails.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
F**k Lotus Notes, worst piece of crap in the world. T_T
[doublepost=1512487888][/doublepost]
You have every right to complain about Gmail app because the price we pay is Google’s right to read all our emails.

I did the update but it didn’t change anything for me. Still a black bar on the top and bottom.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I did the update but it didn’t change anything for me. Still a black bar on the top and bottom.

Maybe you haven't updated to the latest version, try pulling down on the updates tab on the App Store to refresh.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
Gmail app is garbage. Spark works very well.

If you're tolerant of slow performance, that is... I love Spark, but oh, how slow... on every platform I've tried it on. Perhaps if I retrieved mail more often than I do? And I have the same complaint about Airmail, which is even slower.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I’m not seeing any change.
---

nvrmnd, just got the new update.

Looks good.

Last edited:

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011

If an indie developer can get their app up and running for the iPhone X in a week, Google has no excuse for one of the most popular phones in the world where millions of people are now adopting to the iPhone X. They still have not even updated Hangouts.:rolleyes:

So yes, a multi-billion dollar company who swears by its software not updating ASAP when a phone that millions of customers use their products in, not being ready ASAP for more than a week is embarrassing.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
If you're tolerant of slow performance, that is... I love Spark, but oh, how slow... on every platform I've tried it on. Perhaps if I retrieved mail more often than I do? And I have the same complaint about Airmail, which is even slower.

Spark is instantaneous for me. I allow it to use iCloud so my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch & Macs are fully in sync at all times and it just works very, very well. I use Spark with one iCloud account, an extremely busy Gmail account and 3 Outlook accounts and it's genuinely excellent at dealing with my mail! Can't fault it at all!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If an indie developer can get their app up and running for the iPhone X in a week, Google has no excuse for one of the most popular phones in the world where millions of people are now adopting to the iPhone X. They still have not even updated Hangouts.:rolleyes:

So yes, a multi-billion dollar company who swears by its software not updating ASAP when a phone that millions of customers use their products in, not being ready ASAP for more than a week is embarrassing.
An indie developer might not have anything planned as far as releases go or might have very little that is being worked on at the time compared to another developer (indie or corporate or whatever) who might already have a number of things in the works and in the pipeline and other things that have resources allocated to.

If you take a car to a mechanic that has mostly smaller repairs scheduled loosely over the few weeks it's likely that mechanic can squeeze you in and work on your car sooner than one that perhaps has larger repairs and maybe more cars already scheduled over the next few weeks and probably can't get to your car until then. Does that somehow say that one is incompetent in some way or should be embarrassed about something or anything else of that sort?

It's rather basic reality.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

An indie developer can update their one app in a week.

But how many apps does Google constantly update for Android iOS, MacOS and Windows? It's a different scale altogether. And the GMail app had other updates besides iPhone X support.

You're right though... Google are a bunch of jerks. How dare they. It is embarrassing. I'm cancelling all my free Google accounts. :p

Reactions: hirsthirst
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.