Gmail App Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by makotoisle, Dec 16, 2012.

1. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Hi all - I have a quick question I'm hoping one of you might have a solution for.

I really like the new Gmail App for iOS. However, there's one thing that really annoys me: the notifications don't seem to go away when I've read the email on another device.

As in, my phone flashes and I get a lock-screen notification for an email. But I'm sitting at my computer so I just check my email there. If I use the regular Apple iOS Mail app, the notification will disappear from my lock-screen once the email is read - even if I read it on a different device - however, with the Gmail App, that notification just sits there until I clear it on my Phone. I hope that's clear.

I get a lot of emails and it really clutters my lock-screen notifications. Is there a way to set this up to function like Apple's Mail App?

Thanks!

2. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I also use the Gmail App; when I hear a notification come in and then read the email on my laptop (using Safari), the notification does disappear from my lock screen (and from the pull down list of notifications). I have noticed that on occasion this doesn't happen, but 99% of the time does work. I'm not aware of any options that affect this.

On edit: just in case it may help (which I don't think it will), my settings in Settings > Notifications > Gmail are:
    Notification Center - On
    Show - 5 recent items
    Alert Style - Alerts
    Badge App Icon - Off
    Sounds - On
    View in Lock Screen - On

3. ZachHarley macrumors newbie

I have an issue where the notification will stay there even after reading the email. I think the process that defines what the number should be is separate from the process that reads email.

4. makotoisle thread starter macrumors 6502

This is so weird. The only difference between your settings and mine are that I have Badge App Icons on. I had this same problem with the previous revision of the Gmail app. Ahhg, boggle boggle.

5. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

I get this too. If you mark as read, or delete emails, then close the app too quickly, the badge number won't update

6. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I've been watching this more closely today and just now had a case where there were two notifications on the lock screen that were still there quite a while after I had read the emails on another device. When I entered my passcode and then pulled down the notification list from the top, there were no notifications there. So I've seen one case where the lock screen didn't clear but the list did clear. I'll keep watching to see if I can see any pattern.

For ZachHarley and Pimptastic -- note that the original question and my answers are about notifications on the iPhone not clearing when the mail is read on another device -- not sure if you had noted that.

7. mattbrewster macrumors newbie

I also have this problem with the new Gmail app. When my phone is locked and I get a new mail, I get the notification on the lock screen (which is great).

If I read this email on another device (e.g. my laptop or iPad) the email within the notification centre is still present when I pick up my phone. Once I've unlocked the phone it disappears from the notification centre and the gmail badge icon recognises that there are no unread emails.

It's particularly annoying as I get a lot of work email which I read & deal with on my laptop, and then when I pick up my phone it looks like there's loads of unread emails even though in reality I've read them all.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Happens in mail and messages sometimes as well. Definitely more an issue with notifications than gmail.

9. iphnhelp macrumors regular

I actually have never seen a notification from the gmail app disappear from the lock screen when it is read on another device or on the desktop. It will disappear from the notification center and badge icon in real time (usually)- but not the lock screen.

I have switched back to apple mail with gmail exhange because that works perfectly until gmail fixes this.

I'm very interested to hear this is working for some people.

Here is a post on the google product forums about the same issue.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!category-topic/gmail/iphone-ipad-or-ipod/aJTupV_FyV8