Gmail App or Built in Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by point4design, Aug 30, 2010.

1. point4design macrumors newbie

First, sorry for the newbie question. I've followed this forum for a long time but just lurking. I bought an Iphone 4 over the weekend and had a question about whether it is best to use the built in mail feature or the google gmail app. I use gmail for all mail. I've noticed the mail app doesn't seem to work in 'push' mode for gmail. The emails only come through when I open the app. But then the gmail app doesn't popup any alerts or noise when I get a new email like I thought it would. Which app do you other gmail users use?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

You need to set up your gmail via exchange, not imap. See: http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

3. 184550 Guest

I prefer the native Mail app for simplicity's sake.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It doesn't sound like you set it up right. You have 2 good choices.

EITHER

1) Do this:
    Let the mail program do everything. Easy.

OR

2) Set up G-Mail as IMAP and then get the free app named "Boxcar." Setup Boxcar to send you a push notice when you get e-mail.

I prefer this method simply because I think IMAP Gmail works a little better than Exchange G-Mail. But I know people who love method #1 so it's probably just a personal preference thing. Both are good options.

5. point4design thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you. I knew I was overlooking something simple. I was hesitant to by the IP4 but after a ton of research it won out over the other options I was considering and I LOVE it!!

6. shandyman Suspended

setting native mail up to do exchange is much better, not sure what imap does better since exchange gives me all my folders sync'd up to date :)

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's faster.

I was constantly waiting minutes for things to happen with Exchange. They tend to happen in seconds with IMAP/Boxcar.

8. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Exact opposite experience here. Exchange is super fast and works beautifully. Wouldn't have it any other way.

9. shandyman Suspended

really? it's instataneous on exchange on mine.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm glad it works for you. I used for a week on my 3G, then went back to IMAP. I tried it again on my i4 on 2 seperate occations as well.

Every single time I tried it, it took 4-6 minutes for things that took 2-3 seconds using IMAP.

Dunno why, but I'm sure as heck not gonna use it if that's how it's gonna be.

Obviously lots of other people don't have that problem. I'm just saying, that's my personal reason for using IMAP.

11. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I use IMAP over Exchange on my Touch as well. I initially set it up as Exchange to get push (when on wifi obviously), but found that things like read status and deleted messages weren't being synced. Switching to IMAP solved that.