Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Guys, how can I stop Gmail app to be refreshed and check for emails automatically ? I need just to update manually only when I open it.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Guys, how can I stop Gmail app to be refreshed and check for emails automatically ? I need just to update manually only when I open it.

1. Make changes in the Gmail app: see instructions here.

2. Make changes in the Settings app > 'Notifications' > Gmail app > turn off all notification options.

3. Make changes in the Settings app > 'General' > 'Refresh in background' > turn off for Gmail app.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Just turn off background refresh. You don't need to turn off anything else. I have notifications on and it never refreshes in the background.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Just turn off background refresh. You don't need to turn off anything else. I have notifications on and it never refreshes in the background.

Thanks . But with background refresh Off - it still recieve the new emails :) now I put the notification None at the gmail app itself and it stops showing any notifications , but I am not sure if it means - the gmail does. It try to retrieve he new mails automatically....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.