Gmail app update

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jbachandouris, Nov 7, 2016.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I really hate this new inbox version of the gmail app.

For those who have it, how do you navigate to the next email without going back to the index list.

The old version just let you swipe to the left or right while the email is open.

I may have to start using the Outlook app as it's navigation is much easier.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Thread has been cleaned up,i.e., posts removed since they were derailing the topic.

If you're not interested in helping the OP, then please move along

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

I do like the ability to quickly go back to the message list with a back swipe, but it would be good to have the ability to move through messages somehow as well. Doesn't seem like that exists in this first release of the new design--perhaps they will add it with some updates as they tweak/improve the design.

4. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

I've used gmail for a long time. With the old version when I clicked on a link it would open in Chrome,my preferred browser. Now it poems in safari. Is there any way to changed this?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think an option for that kind of thing would have to be within the settings that the app offers.

6. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

They must have removed it then because I can't find it.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like that might be the case. Hopefully they'll be releasing updates to tweak/improve this new design and will (re-)add more options.

8. Glennster macrumors 6502

Glennster

Gmail just updated their app but does anyone know how to change the notification sound? It seems they only allow for just the default.

9. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Be careful - before I had even started to absorb the initial horror of the design, I had clients calling me asking what my email was about... this redesigned app had fired off a few old (draft?) emails all by itself.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

The sounds are whatever the app chooses them to be. Some apps allow for sounds to be selected, but that would have to be an option that the app provides within its own settings basically.

11. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Use inbox instead of Gmail. So much better and has a custom sound.

12. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Wondered about the sound too. This explains it. Thanks.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's different, but depends on one's use as to whether or not it's better. The updated Gmail app now more or less has the design of the Inbox app.

14. Glennster macrumors 6502

Glennster

Not sure why ppl are saying the gmail app update is amazing - to me it's taken a step back.
    Been using the Outlook app and thoroughly enjoy it.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Gmail finally supports the enhanced resolution of the 12.9" iPad Pro. I'm happy about that!

16. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Yes, same here. I like that.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Does anyone know how to access your contacts when composing new a new email in this updated app? I have contacts synced to gmail but i can't find a way to scroll through my contacts to pick people to send to.

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I was wondering the same thing. What I've been doing is just typing the first letter of someone's name in the To column: T for Tom and it brings up ALL the contacts that start with T or have last name that start with T. Been working for me.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like it mostly works off of autocomplete now, so you can put a letter or a few and scroll through the options it brings up. Perhaps another thing they will potentially tweak as they release updates for this new design.

20. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Are there any email apps that look and function the way the previous GMail app did with boxes for selecting emails and both Archive and Trash options being available? I hate the new app.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure which ones might satisfy the particulars you are looking for, but you can check out some of the more popular options that might offer something of interest, as discussed at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/alternative-mail-apps.1949245/

22. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I actually had a draft re-appear today. I am looking at other options as this app is not acceptable. I wish they would allow us to use the old app...you know, like the website that allows you to go back to classic view.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

You could probably use the Gmail mobile website. Not sure how good/bad it is in comparison though as I haven't tried it in a while.

24. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I have tried that and it's OK. I found the previous app crashed or froze a fair bit and have wished for some of the advantages of Mail so will probably try to use that exclusively on iOS and from there will consider using it more on MacOS as well.

25. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

The mobile website? No thank you. I've been test driving the Outlook app. It's not perfect, but it's better than than the piece of garbage that they made the Gmail app into.