Gmail + Apple Mail. POP? IMAP? On My Mac Boxes? Server Boxes? HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jade Cambell, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Okay, i'm trying to set up my Gmail account in the Mail program in Leopard. I know that IMAP is better than POP, so i'm using that since Gmail just started supporting it.

I set up the account, and it downloads all the messages from the server. Perfect. Now, I want to create mailboxes in mail, to sort my mail by. Do I create them under the "Gmail IMAP Account" sub-box so that they'll sync to the server? (which they didn't by the way), or should I create "On my mac" boxes? If I create Server boxes, is the information still stored on the mac too? If I create On My Mac Boxes, is there a way to make them sync with the server?

Basically my question is this: When I have the account set up, I can either create On My Mac Boxes, which I prefer, or I can create mailboxes underneath the sub mail box called "Gmail IMAP Account", and underneath that sub-box, there are already other boxes like "Sent Mail", "All Mail", "Spam" etc. The boxes from gmail.com.

Help! What do I do? How does this work?

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind.. I figured it out. I hope you enjoyed reading about my hysterical state of mind....

Lock please.

2. 119576 Guest

A good idea might be to post how you figured it out, in case anybody has the same problem? :)