Gmail as Exchange Account: Advantages/Disadvantages?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kelped, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Kelped macrumors member

Can someone explain to me the advantages of setting up Gmail as an Exchange account on the iPhone 4?

I've been searching all over and all I've found is that this setup will allow push emails. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages?

I currently have Gmail setup through the default iPhone Gmail setup and my work email as Exchange.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The disadvantage is that it's not imap, so it's not synced, just pushed.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yeah, it's pretty much just a question as to, if you want to be notified immediate if a new email has been sent to you. If so, Exchange account is a must. If you're ok with getting new email notifications every 15, 30, or 60 minutes, or checking manually then a regular account setup is better, because it will save battery life over an Exchange account.

Exchange: Pro = Get your email notification immediately. Con = drains more battery.

Regular: Pro = Save some battery, especially if you have it set to check manually. Con = You don't find out immediately if you have a new email, which could be bad for any time critical messages you might get.

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

You cant search the server..

But it does work quick i get emails before they even appear on the gmail website.

5. ivan300 macrumors member

Also it can sync your contacts so you never have to back them up

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally I don't like how it organizes my folders. The IMAP version is just a lot cleaner. Also, Google Exchange seems to be a bit flaky (folders not downloading emails) while IMAP is rock solid.