GMail (as exchange) "The connection to the server failed."

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by super tomtendo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Keep getting an error for my gmail account that I have set up as an exchange account.

"The connection to the server failed."

Any ideas? Tried deleting and re-adding.

2. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I'd also like to know this for future troubleshooting reference. It's a common problem I've seen on many of my co-workers telephones. Any ideas at this point are welcome.

3. bagyidaw macrumors newbie

If you re added then I don't think you will get exchange support again. Since cut off date is since Jan if I'm not wrong.
    Just use gmail app or set up as IMAP.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If the OP had the account set up as Exchange on a particular device before the cutoff date (~Jan 30) it should still work that way on the same device, even after a complete restore. It has for me.

5. liteshow macrumors regular

Even if your gmail account was connected as exchange before Jan 31 but the device you are now trying to setup is new (as in never being used on the account before), the connection will fail. I currently have a 4s and was toying around with an older 3Gs and Gmail on the built-in mail app would not connect via exchange. Only connects imap (but no push).

For those of us currently using Gmail as exchange; when you are done with your current device and eventually want to upgrade to a new ios device, it will fail. Either start using the Gmail app or switch email accounts when that happens.

6. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Indeed. What a bummer move by Google. Clearly want people to download the GMAIL App. Having no push is such a b*tch.

IF ONLY... IF ONLY... Apple would let me make my iCloud email my apple ID (yes I know it already is, but I mean drop my gmail account fully). Another mind-boggling decision.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

For new iPhones/iPads and Gmail you can at least get a push sound alert for new mail if you turn "Sound" ON and everything else OFF in Notifications>Gmail.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'm guessing this is my problem as well. I just got a replacement phone and restored from backup, but none of my google accounts would connect. I guess even restoring from backup will no longer work, although it did on my iPad 2....

9. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Not good is it

If you want push, fwd to iCloud mail but be sure to disable iCloud smtp, instead enter your gmail account under smtp options for iCloud so all replies come from your gmail address... Unless you wish to migrate - if so ignore the smtp bit

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why is downloading the GMail app such a problem?

I have never had reliably working push for any of my Gmail accounts on any of my iPhones. It's always been temperamental working some days and not on others- without changing anything.

So, I downloaded the Gmail app, set the notifications that I wanted, and use that to alert me for new emails instead of the native Mail app.

That said, outside of originally setting it up and using it to notify me of new mail, I never actually use or open the Gmail app.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That is my solution and it's ok, however gmail isn't the only email I use on my phone. I like having one app that can handle my work and personal email.

Also I still like the mail.app better than the official gmail app.