Resolved Gmail Attachment Path Question

webdeveloper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I use gmail's webmail and my job requires me to transfer documents back and forth, images, and so on. When I send a message with an attachment (document or image) to someone to receive, can they see my home directory name? (example: User/JohnDoe/Documents) which reveals my computer, account name, and where the document came from or is the receiver only able to see the attachment itself?

Last edited:

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Should only be able to see the attachment itself after it is sent
It shows the path on the web interface showing where the file will be sent from

Nov 28, 2010
located
The receiver is only able to see the actual attachment, not the actual path.

Btw, to get a more knowledgable audience, and raising the chances of getting accurate help, a descriptive thread title is a big help. In order to change thread titles, click the EDIT button of your original post, then the GO ADVANCED button and it should be clear from there on out.

And even if they would see the path, the computer name would not be included and the name of the user folder is not really compromising your security, unless your password matches your short user name or is in direct relation to it.

webdeveloper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
The receiver is only able to see the actual attachment, not the actual path.

Btw, to get a more knowledgable audience, and raising the chances of getting accurate help, a descriptive thread title is a big help. In order to change thread titles, click the EDIT button of your original post, then the GO ADVANCED button and it should be clear from there on out.
Hey, thank you both. Sorry for the confusion