Gmail authentication over mail app

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applepie11978, Jan 15, 2009.

1. applepie11978 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if I set up my Gmail account on my itouch/iphone through the email application, does it encrypt ONLY the credentials or does it encrypt all frames as it passes from my iTouch to Gmail's mail servers?

In other words, are only my username/passwords encrypted or are all of the emails I am reading going over the internet encrypted?

I know if I force HTTPS through the browser, I can encrypt all traffic but can I force the iTouch/iphone email app to do the same?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have "some" sensitive email content I do not want transferred in clear text and I haven't used the iTouch email app yet because I'm not sure. If i have to, I'll set up wireshark or something and examine the frames but I just thought someone might know off hand.

Thanks!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I doubt it encrypts it. Most don't. I would check it if i was you. :eek:

3. applepie11978 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a follow up if anyone was interested...

I did open a packet analyzer on my wifi network on my laptop and then tx/rx some Gmail data using the built in Itouch/Iphone application.

After getting about 600 frames, I did a 'Follow TCP stream' which clearly showed everything was garbled and encrypted.

So to answer my own question, Yes, it appears the Gmail app encrypts not only the credentials but also the data transmitted after logging in. Great!!

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040