gmail chat notification

Discussion in 'macOS' started by archdelux, Apr 20, 2010.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

I recently switched to mac from PC and am getting used to the new interface.
    I want to know, other than the audio notification how can you be notified if someone responded to your chat? (ie assuming your sound was on mute)

For example, in windows, i had all my windows listed at the dock in the bottom and when I had a chat waiting, the gmail title bar would change to "John says.." and flash discretely so that I always knew when I had a chat waiting while I was doing something else.

With the new expose interface vs. the dock interface of seeing what windows are open, if you dont have sound on, how do you know when someone replied to your chat without you having to constantly check the window?

Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well you would want something like Growl with IMHO the best chat client for Mac, Adium.
    Admium with Growl will give you brief pop-ups telling when a chat comes for you and Admium does Google talk along with most all other IM protocols.

3. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

I see...thanks for your response

So it seems that the only solution then is to use a different chat client...there is not way to keep it integrated with Gmail?

Does Admium / iChat / etc save the google chats in your email account like Gchat within gmail does?

thanks