Gmail contacts not autocompleting on 6 Plus w/iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ohmyggg, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ohmyggg macrumors member

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, but is anyone else having issues getting the Gmail app to autocomplete email addresses?

I followed all the instructions here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2752491?hl=en as well as in some other threads on the (horrible) Google help forums, but my Gmail fields appear to be dumb as they are not autocompleting.

2. liteshow macrumors regular

Gmail App auto complete is working fine on my 5s running 8.1.

Did this just happen after the 8.1 update? Maybe try deleting the Gmail App and install again.

3. ohmyggg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, liteshow.

I should have mentioned that it's been this way since the beginning. I've uninstalled and reinstalled at least once or twice.

4. hernan1304 macrumors member

Mine is fine too (6+ on iOS 8.1). Check in Settings>gmail to see if contacts are disabled.

5. ohmyggg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, hernan. I'm starting to think maybe I need a complete reset on my device. Otherwise, more people would have been complaining about this issue for sure.

I checked contacts in settings for Gmail and they are enabled. I also tried disabling and re-enabling as part of my troubleshooting.

6. liteshow macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, does auto complete work on your 6 plus when using:

(1) a browser like chrome/safari connected to gmail - using gmail mobile version.

(2) another mail app like cloudmagic

7. ohmyggg thread starter macrumors member

liteshow,

Great question. The behavior on the mobile version of gmail.com is exactly the same as the Gmail app for me. In other words, it does not autocomplete, but if I click the "+" symbol, I get a drop-down of (seemingly) recent contacts and it displays the same exact recents as the Gmail app.

The only other mail app I have is the stock Mail app which I use for my AOL email address (I use the gmail app for my gmail address). The Mail app auto-completes my AOL contacts like a champ. Are you suggesting that I try Cloudmagic to pull in my gmail email?

8. liteshow macrumors regular

Since autocomplete is not working for gmail mobile, does it work for the gmail desktop (i.e gmail on a desktop browser on a PC or Mac)?

9. ohmyggg thread starter macrumors member

Liteshow, ouch, horrible of me for taking so long to respond.

Apologies.

Email address autocomplete on my desktop browser works perfectly.
    It also autocompletes on my Mac's native "Mail" application.