Gmail corrupted?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jaybee2u2, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Jaybee2u2 macrumors newbie

New to Mac forums! Have original iPad, version 3.12, have used gmail for years on here successfully. Suddenly, won't allow me to enter gmail....after trying to log in, it quickly kicks me out to the home screen.
    I go to gmail.com, enter login info, it starts to redirect, then redirects to a second url of google.com/mail/mu/mp/37/, then crashes.

1. I can access same gmail account from another computer just fine.
    2. I tried setting up a new gmail account to see if old one was hijacked. New account does exactly the same thing trying to login on this iPad.
    3. I have tried reboots different ways, no luck.
    4. Have deleted the google item from databases, no luck.
    5. Have reset cookies, history, and cache.

Only thing left I can think is entire reset of iPad which I don't want to do, have never synched and don't have a place to right now.

Please....any other ideas?

Thanks very much!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Why not just use Mail.app?

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

Did you set up your account using the Google option or did you go through the Exchange option?

Which ever one you initially used, try the other and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I suggest just using the website until you can do a reset.

I guess that's my second biggest gripe with IOS (the first being no file access). When you run into an issue, especially with a built in app you have few recourses other than just a complete reset. And no real way of creating a 'clean' mirror image as a starting point for a rebuild.

Good luck.

4. Jaybee2u2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still stuck

Thanks for your replies thus far, I appreciate them!

I should have been clearer, I have always accessed gmail via the google website on the iPad. I set up yahoo using the mail app, but never thought to connect gmail this way, since I get a lot of junk in it.

I'm not familiar with the Exchange option, I'll have to look that up and learn more! So far, sounds like not something easy I was overlooking but some type of glitch or corruption somewhere in the ipads action to access gmail from the website, upon redirect? I Was surprised both when I could still access this gmail account from another computer, and that I could NOT even access a NEW gmail account from the ipad via using the website.

And, much as I do love the general cleanliness I have experienced migrating to Mac systems, in times like this, I don't like the inaccessibility to files etc that seem to be at the root of the problem, or a solution.

Thank you both!

5. Jaybee2u2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update

Ok, having read a bit on Microsoft exchange, I don't have that service available to me since I have no "company" with a client-side server.

Good news...I tried setting up gmail using the mail option in settings, and sure enough, it works that way and went out an fished my inbox.

Bad news...after trying this, I went back to safari and tried accessing through the google.com mail site....still gives me that same mu/mp/37 redirect and then kicks me completely out of safari, back to home screen.

If anyone reading has any other ideas, I'm still all ears, as I don't really want to leave this gmail account set up via mail on my iPad....but thanks prior posters for suggesting I try that.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

You don't have to have a company to use gmail via exchange. But you do have to set it up manually.

Here are the instructions

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Don't know what to say about the website. I set mine up using exchange and never need to go to the website.

Oh, and using the gmail option is the pits. Try the exchange route and see if you like it. You have access to all your folders, can set it up as push, etc.