Gmail-Delete or Archive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

Please hel me out, I know this is a new feature added but can someone tell me how this new "archive" feature is supposed to do in relation to just plain old deleting the mail?

I used to just eventually delete all of the mail that was in my inbox and trash but now it just gives me the option to archive. Not sure that I understand what it's doing or that I even want to do it that way.

2. celticpride678

Archive will put it into a folder on your Gmail account. Delete will delete the message.

3. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Archive is the same as Archive in Gmail

Delete is the same as Delete in Gmail

To choose which you want, go into your Gmail account settings in the Mail area.

Honestly, I wish they just had both Archive and Delete display when you swiped.

4. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Here's a better idea. DITCH gmail...I def do not consider them a secure email server by any means.

When I checked my "archived mail " I almost **** my pants. There was mail in there from years ago. Trying to actually get rid of it is near impossible. I just don't rust google as far as I can throw em.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you have Delete when you swipe, all you have to do when you want to archive instead is move it to the [Gmail] > All Mail folder.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My buddy works for a company who take care of Googles servers and they use top-notch equipment and the security is great. This is also a guy who is paranoid about people getting his info. No offense, I'll trust the guy who works on their stuff for a living and uses their services.
    There is a known issue with Microsoft exchange servers and the deleting of messages. The deleted messages goes into the archived folder for some reason when you delete a message from your iPhone.

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yes, I know...but then I have to open the mail, click on the folder and select All Mail.

Since they put the work into adding the Archive button, I'm just saying it would have been nicer to have both buttons pop up on swipe.

8. outphase macrumors 65816

So you're telling us that you're bothered that Gmail doesn't delete your mail from years ago automatically?

9. tylertech macrumors regular

There happens to be an "Archive" and a "Delete" button. You were the one who put that mail in the archive folder. Deleting is as simple as selecting all mail and choosing Delete.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I found this to be hilarious. There are quite a number of misconceptions here. Maybe you should do some research. ;)

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or Edit > select email > move to folder. Much faster when you want to archive (or delete) multiple email.

12. germanjulian macrumors regular

So funny. The whole point of gmail has always been "you never have to delete an email again" and you can find it.

I never delete, always archive. Trust me comes in handy sometimes

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

It's not the end of the world, just would have been nice for them to implement the change since they were working on it.

14. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

15. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I've never rusted an email supplier in my life.

Not even once.

16. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't gmail automatically archive all ensue already in the ALL MAIL folder?

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe swipe to right to delete (red "Delete" box on the right) and swipe to left to archive (yellow "Archive" box on the left). This would prevent accidental screw-ups from having the boxes next to each other.

Unless I'm not understanding you, that's why you move the message to the ALL MAIL folder if you want to archive.

Trusted? I take it you don't use email at all?

18. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Just gotta be careful though.

If you use Google Sync through Exchange, DELETE = ARCHIVE

If you use the Google button on iPhone to setup, DELETE = DELETE

If you setup your Google IMAP by Google's instructions, DELETE = ARCHIVE